From: Gantenbein on
Hello,

I have a problem where Office 2007 programs randomly fail to start up. This
is a problem that happens with any of the Office 2007 applications, and I
cannot predict when it is going to happen.

This is the symptom: I start one of the Office programs (say, Word). The
usual screen will appear, but I cannot work with the program. As soon as I
click into the application window, the Ribbon-style title bar changes into a
Windows XP-style title bar with a "not responding" appended to it.

When I subsequently try to start any of the other Office programs, they all
hang. This occurs independently of background software (I also turned of my
third-party firewall, but the problem persists).

The event log gives this for example:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Office 12
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5000
Date: 06.08.2008
Time: 16:47:34
User: N/A
Computer: SEPPEL4
EventType officelifeboathang, P1 excel.exe, P2 12.0.6300.5000, P3 ntdll.dll,
P4 5.1.2600.5512, P5 NIL, P6 NIL, P7 NIL, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

Data:
0000: 6f 00 66 00 66 00 69 00 o.f.f.i.
0008: 63 00 65 00 6c 00 69 00 c.e.l.i.
0010: 66 00 65 00 62 00 6f 00 f.e.b.o.
0018: 61 00 74 00 68 00 61 00 a.t.h.a.
0020: 6e 00 67 00 2c 00 20 00 n.g.,. .
0028: 65 00 78 00 63 00 65 00 e.x.c.e.
0030: 6c 00 2e 00 65 00 78 00 l...e.x.
0038: 65 00 2c 00 20 00 31 00 e.,. .1.
0040: 32 00 2e 00 30 00 2e 00 2...0...
0048: 36 00 33 00 30 00 30 00 6.3.0.0.
0050: 2e 00 35 00 30 00 30 00 ..5.0.0.
0058: 30 00 2c 00 20 00 6e 00 0.,. .n.
0060: 74 00 64 00 6c 00 6c 00 t.d.l.l.
0068: 2e 00 64 00 6c 00 6c 00 ..d.l.l.
0070: 2c 00 20 00 35 00 2e 00 ,. .5...
0078: 31 00 2e 00 32 00 36 00 1...2.6.
0080: 30 00 30 00 2e 00 35 00 0.0...5.
0088: 35 00 31 00 32 00 2c 00 5.1.2.,.
0090: 20 00 4e 00 49 00 4c 00 .N.I.L.
0098: 2c 00 20 00 4e 00 49 00 ,. .N.I.
00a0: 4c 00 2c 00 20 00 4e 00 L.,. .N.
00a8: 49 00 4c 00 2c 00 20 00 I.L.,. .
00b0: 4e 00 49 00 4c 00 2c 00 N.I.L.,.
00b8: 20 00 4e 00 49 00 4c 00 .N.I.L.
00c0: 20 00 4e 00 49 00 4c 00 .N.I.L.
00c8: 0d 00 0a 00 ....

This is on a Lenovo T61, Core2Duo processor, 3 GB RAM, Windows XP SP3, all
patches installed.

The only cure for the problem is to restart the whole system (which takes
several tries). It is a very annoying problem because it disrupts my work
significantly and non-predictably.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G.
From: Gantenbein on
I think I could finally pin it down. It seems to be that the hang only occurs
if Skype is running simultaneously. Not always though. But I never had a hang
when Skype was not running.

I had previously installed and then uninstalled the Skype Toolbar for
Office. Now I installed it again and will see if the hangs still occur.