From: RichA on
Could be, if you read this report.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/ir/brief/pdf/n100512aE_n2.pdf

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 23:17:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>Could be, if you read this report.
>http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/ir/brief/pdf/n100512aE_n2.pdf

Interesting.

On Page 3, under the heading "Preparations for New Medium-Term Plan"
there is included "Establishment of business foundation for SLRs". So
the DSLR range appears safe.

Then, on Page 17, under "Imaging Business", the priority is
"Establishing solid foundation for the DSLR camera business and
achieving high growth". Sounds good for the DSLR range.

But then, on the same page, under the heading "Digital SLR Cameras" it
mentions only Micro Four Thirds. There is no mention of Four Thirds.
So when Olympus are talking about DSLRs, they mean Micro Four Thirds.

From: LOL! on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 09:37:49 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2010 23:17:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Could be, if you read this report.
>>http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/ir/brief/pdf/n100512aE_n2.pdf
>

>Interesting.
>
>On Page 3, under the heading "Preparations for New Medium-Term Plan"
>there is included "Establishment of business foundation for SLRs". So
>the DSLR range appears safe.
>
>Then, on Page 17, under "Imaging Business", the priority is
>"Establishing solid foundation for the DSLR camera business and
>achieving high growth". Sounds good for the DSLR range.
>
>But then, on the same page, under the heading "Digital SLR Cameras" it
>mentions only Micro Four Thirds. There is no mention of Four Thirds.
>So when Olympus are talking about DSLRs, they mean Micro Four Thirds.

HA -HA!

The troll who never even read it,

Made ya look! Made ya look!

LOL!
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <ih5fv5dedl54gmdhupuvdku29gdun7m114(a)4ax.com>, Bruce says...

> On Page 3, under the heading "Preparations for New Medium-Term Plan"
> there is included "Establishment of business foundation for SLRs". So
> the DSLR range appears safe.
>
> Then, on Page 17, under "Imaging Business", the priority is
> "Establishing solid foundation for the DSLR camera business and
> achieving high growth". Sounds good for the DSLR range.
>
> But then, on the same page, under the heading "Digital SLR Cameras" it
> mentions only Micro Four Thirds. There is no mention of Four Thirds.
> So when Olympus are talking about DSLRs, they mean Micro Four Thirds.

And most likely the medical area is more profitable and has more growth
potential than the camera business.
--

Alfred Molon
On Sat, 22 May 2010 12:10:44 +0200, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <ih5fv5dedl54gmdhupuvdku29gdun7m114(a)4ax.com>, Bruce says...
>
>> On Page 3, under the heading "Preparations for New Medium-Term Plan"
>> there is included "Establishment of business foundation for SLRs". So
>> the DSLR range appears safe.
>>
>> Then, on Page 17, under "Imaging Business", the priority is
>> "Establishing solid foundation for the DSLR camera business and
>> achieving high growth". Sounds good for the DSLR range.
>>
>> But then, on the same page, under the heading "Digital SLR Cameras" it
>> mentions only Micro Four Thirds. There is no mention of Four Thirds.
>> So when Olympus are talking about DSLRs, they mean Micro Four Thirds.
>
>And most likely the medical area is more profitable and has more growth
>potential than the camera business.

Hasn't that always been the case for Olympus?

I had a strong relationship with Olympus Europe from the late 1970s
until the early 2000s. I had the strong impression that the medical
area always seemed to dominate imaging, if not dwarf it.

In the same way, Nikon's main business is steppers and scanners used
in the manufacture of integrated circuits. That is where the majority
of the group's profits have come from in recent years. Unlike
Olympus, however, imaging is still an important part of Nikon's
business.