From: David J. Littleboy on

"Chris Malcolm" <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Don't forget that tecnology keeps improving. At any point in time what
> you say is true. But is four year old in-lens IS better than today's
> in-camera?

Yes. The 70-200/4.0 IS was released in 2006.

>I'll probably have a new camera in four years, which with
> in-camera IS means the IS is upgraded. But I don't want to have to
> renew all my lenses every four years.

I'd love in-camera IS so I had it with my legacy, third party, and medium
format MF lenses.

But the IS in the Canon 70-200/4.0 IS is seriously amazing. Sharp images at
1/15th (with a lot of care and elbows supported or locked) at 200mm,
reliably sharp images at 1/30 and 200mm. I doubt in-camera IS will be
competing, ever. And, of course, in-camera IS doesn't stabilize the
viewfinder image.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

From: David J Taylor on
"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
[]
> IS has to be cheap in a cheap lens.

... low-cost, and /still/ works better than in-body stabilisation.

> The inescapable issue is cost. It's more cost effective to put IS in
> the body than in all thee lenses for a given level of sophistication.

Lower cost for lower performance, though. Your money, your choice.

On advantage of in-body (which can /also/ be applied when the lens has
stabilisation) is the correction of body rotation about the axis of the
lens.

David

From: David J Taylor on

"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
[]
> For people moving to a D-SLR from a P&S or ZLR, they are unlikely to
> understand the advantages of in-lens VR/IS.

They only need to look through the viewfinder with a long telephoto lens
attached! Watch the image stabilise when the VR is enabled. Little
understanding required - just a demonstration at the local shop.

David

From: David J Taylor on
"Chris Malcolm" <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
[]
> Don't forget that tecnology keeps improving. At any point in time what
> you say is true. But is four year old in-lens IS better than today's
> in-camera? I'll probably have a new camera in four years, which with
> in-camera IS means the IS is upgraded. But I don't want to have to
> renew all my lenses every four years.

... and if your new camera only has in-body IS you /still/ won't get the
advantage of a stable image in the optical finder.

Cheers,
David

From: Alfred Molon on
In article <5kjkv51udne8hg9ggllarporrnnb6p2hm7(a)4ax.com>, Bruce says...
> I wonder why Sony abandoned the in-camera anti-shake of the Alpha
> system, instead using an in-lens anti-shake system for NEX?

Obviously not enough space in that tiny body for an in-camera anti-shake
system. Seems like Sony cut the corners too much here.
--

Alfred Molon