From: nospam on
In article <c5pov590gp2reqh6la536akhik9qiu8kd9(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> You lack the necessary equipment (if not the expertise) to do proper
> testing. It's quite difficult to properly test image stabilization.

that goes for you too, which means you haven't tested it either, so
your claims are also anecdotal and opinion.
From: David J. Littleboy on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> > a lens system can be just as sophisticated and capable, if not more so,
>> > since it can be tuned to the specifics of each lens, not one size fits
>> > all.
>>
>> In body IS isn't one size fits all.
>
> yes it is
>
>> It reads the necessary parameters
>> from the lens, the most important being focal length, and adjusts
>> itself.
>
> sure but it's still the *same* system that has to cover everything from
> a super-wide to a super-tele and everything in between. the amount of
> sensor excursion to properly stabilize a super-telephoto is impossible,
> whereas each lens can be individually tuned, as needed.

Uh, no. IS claims to "fix" up to "n" stops of shake. That's the _exactly the
same_ excursion for every lens, whatever the focal length.

If you can hold your lenses steady enough for 1/<focal length> shutter
speeds, then for an 800mm lens, image motion at the focal plane at 1/100 is
exactly the same as image motion at the focal plane for a 200mm lens at
1/25.

Longer lenses require a faster response time, though.

FWIW, I read about someone who tested a cheap supertele with stacked TCs on
one of the first in-camera IS systems. It worked fine even with insanely
long focal lengths.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

From: nospam on
In article <xsCdnV1GttOE82HWnZ2dnVY3go-dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, David J.
Littleboy <davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote:

> Uh, no. IS claims to "fix" up to "n" stops of shake. That's the _exactly the
> same_ excursion for every lens, whatever the focal length.

as the focal length gets longer, the same amount of shake causes a much
larger movement. that's why you need a faster shutter speed to 'freeze'
it.
From: Peter on
> On 2010-05-25 16:30:35 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a D300s which replaced a stolen D300, which I was quite satisfied
>>> with. I have a G11 which serves well as my compact spare. If I am going
>>> to upgrade at this stage it would be to pick up a D700, or its
>>> successor.
>>
>> Yeahbut, the low high ISO noise of the D3s...........
>>
>> No, I will wait for at least one year.
>
> At least a year, probably longer. I would hope there would be a better
> performing successor to the D700 by then. I cannot, without a lottery win,
> justify the sticker pricer of a D3s.
> Perhaps a used D3s somewhere down the road?

I have a thing about buying a used camera, even though I've had good luck
with used lenses.
(Including a 20mm, 24mm & 200 micro. To give you an idea of how long, I
converted all three to AI.)

--
Peter

From: Chase Urtale on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 17:37:44 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-05-25 16:30:35 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a D300s which replaced a stolen D300, which I was quite
>>> satisfied with. I have a G11 which serves well as my compact spare. If
>>> I am going to upgrade at this stage it would be to pick up a D700, or
>>> its successor.
>>
>> Yeahbut, the low high ISO noise of the D3s...........
>>
>> No, I will wait for at least one year.
>
>At least a year, probably longer. I would hope there would be a better
>performing successor to the D700 by then. I cannot, without a lottery
>win, justify the sticker pricer of a D3s.
>Perhaps a used D3s somewhere down the road?

I hate to break it do you, but it's still not going to improve your
photography. You can count on that, all the way to their banks.