From: Michael Moser on
Hi all,
I am struggling since a few weeks with the MotionComputing support, but
they found no solution so far (other than suggesting a full system
restore... ||-( ).

For some reason too long to explain here, I had to de- and then
re-install the OmniPass security SW that is supposed to control access
to the tablet using the fingerprint reader.
However, after the reinstallation, OmniPass doesn't "see" the built-in
fingerprint reader any more. When - during the enrollment process - I
try to select the fingerprint reader as authentication device to be used
for logon, OmniPass tells me it couldn't find the device and that I
should plug it in. :-(

However, not only is the fingerprint reader plugged in and present (it's
built-in!), it is also active and "working properly" (according to the
Authentec device driver). In Control-Panel there is an applet, that
allows to use the fingerprint reader as addintional cursor control or,
alternatively, as scroll control device. Both modes work fine, i.e. I
can control the cursor as well as do scrolling with the fingerprint
reader, so the device obviously IS present and it is working fine.

But for some strange reason, the OmniPass SW seems unable to locate
and/or access the device. Anybody with similar problems? Or any hints or
pointers?

This is on an MotionComputing LE1700 running Vista Business. Could that
be yet another Vista access rights problem?

Michael

From: Chris H on
You really do need to contact Motion's support section. Be firm, but polite
and ask to speak with a supervisor if you don't get through to the first
person. They're normally extremely cooperative and helpful.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

From: Reed Rinn - MVP Shell / User on
Michael,

If you run the TruePrint application in Control Panel, does it report that
the sensor is "Ready to Scan Finger"? If you swipe your finger at that
point, does your finger print show up in the window?

I'm also aware of a problem that can occur if OmniPass is removed without
doing a complete uninstall and then re-installed. This can result in a
corrupt installation. How did you originally uninstall OmniPass?

I'll also pass this along to other developers and support people at Motion
to see if there is a known issue and solution.

-Reed Rinn
MVP Desktop

From: Chris H on
Thanks for dropping by, Reed. Hopefully we can get this resolved now.
<waving!>

From: Michael Moser on
Chris H wrote:
> You really do need to contact Motion's support section. Be firm, but
> polite and ask to speak with a supervisor if you don't get through to
> the first person. They're normally extremely cooperative and helpful.
>
> "Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser(a)nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in
> message news:e3%230FfgcIHA.288(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Well, I *have* contacted the MotionComputing support before and they had
escalated this to their supervisor but in the end the only suggestion
was to do a recovery reload of the OS, which I find a a somewhat
suboptimal solution, given that except for this Omnipass <==>
fingerprint reader issue the system seems fine and stable. I rather
suspect that there is some hickup in the Omnipass installer. If I could
only find out, WHAT debris one needs to remove after an uninstall, then
I could attempt another (re-)install...

Michael

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3