From: Rob on
On 6/04/2010 9:51 AM, SG1 wrote:
> "Clocky"<notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message
>> John Tserkezis wrote:

>>> This brings up another somewhat related point. What's the appeal of
>>> laptops?
>>>
>>> My 10yo niece was whining to me that they were originally told they
>>> were getting laptops, but her school had taken delivery of a bunch of
>>> brand spanking new desktops instead.
>>>
>>> The laptops were to be permanently tethered (presumably via a
>>> Kensington lock) and never intended to be moved at all. Like the
>>> desktops will be.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this was a 10yo's over-active perception here, but the
>>> reaction was akin to expecting 15 PCs, but actually taking delivery
>>> of two second hand pocket calculators instead. The non-scientific
>>> kind.
>>>
>>> It's not just her either. Family friends upgrading, are looking at
>>> laptops to replace their aging desktops. They don't need the
>>> portability, they tether the machines to one spot, but they appear
>>> happy to make do with a smaller screen, smaller keyboard, limited
>>> upgraded potential, a F%#king trackpad instead of a more useful
>>> mouse, AND a generally higher price to boot. On top of that, because
>>> they'll never cycle their batteries, it's almost guaranteed to bed
>>> dead within the year. I'm expecting them to whine about the
>>> few-month warranty on batteries for this exact reason.
>>>
>>> What makes people do this? I understand the "flavour of the month"
>>> attraction, but this is way past silly.
>>>

>>> Don't get me wrong, lap/note/netbooks have their purpose, I have three
>>> myself, (seven if you count the broken ones), but I have a higher end
>>> desktop, a server, another server (that I only use for destructive
>>> testing), another server that will go into service when I get some
>>> time, and another two PCs that are quite old that I haven't found an
>>> embedded purpose for yet.
>>> I do the *vast* majority of my work on the one desktop simply because
>>> it's the ideal hardware base for the work.
>>>
>>> The lap/netbook(s) are good for portability where I need a wintel box
>>> while I'm on the move. I certainly don't do (or try hard to avoid
>>> doing) any heavy duty work on them. And for that they serve nicely.
>>
>> Kids would be better off learning stuff like long division multiplication
>> tables and actually learn to use their brains to work stuff out.
>>
>> My nephew is an top level student yet I'm astounded more about what he
>> doesn't know then what he does.
>
> Try asking a kid to do maths in their head. What a radical idea today. When
> I am having a good day the brain gets used if not then silicon.

School kids are sick of using computers all the time.
From: me here on
SG1 wrote:

> "John Tserkezis" <jt(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote in message
> > Don McKenzie wrote:
> >
> >> One Laptop Per Child delivers 200 laptops to Territory kids in
> Yirrkala >> Non-profit outfit continues to roll out budget XO laptops
> to children in >> remote areas
> >
> > This brings up another somewhat related point. What's the appeal of
> > laptops?
> >
> > My 10yo niece was whining to me that they were originally told they
> > were getting laptops, but her school had taken delivery of a bunch
> > of brand spanking new desktops instead.
> >
> > The laptops were to be permanently tethered (presumably via a
> > Kensington lock) and never intended to be moved at all. Like the
> > desktops will be.
> >
> > Perhaps this was a 10yo's over-active perception here, but the
> > reaction was akin to expecting 15 PCs, but actually taking delivery
> > of two second hand pocket calculators instead. The non-scientific
> > kind.
> >
> > It's not just her either. Family friends upgrading, are looking at
> > laptops to replace their aging desktops. They don't need the
> > portability, they tether the machines to one spot, but they appear
> > happy to make do with a smaller screen, smaller keyboard, limited
> > upgraded potential, a F%#king trackpad instead of a more useful
> > mouse, AND a generally higher price to boot. On top of that,
> > because they'll never cycle their batteries, it's almost guaranteed
> > to bed dead within the year. I'm expecting them to whine about the
> > few-month warranty on batteries for this exact reason.
> >
> > What makes people do this? I understand the "flavour of the month"
> > attraction, but this is way past silly.
> >

> > Don't get me wrong, lap/note/netbooks have their purpose, I have
> > three myself, (seven if you count the broken ones), but I have a
> > higher end desktop, a server, another server (that I only use for
> > destructive testing), another server that will go into service when
> > I get some time, and another two PCs that are quite old that I
> > haven't found an embedded purpose for yet.
> > I do the vast majority of my work on the one desktop simply because
> > it's the ideal hardware base for the work.
> >
> > The lap/netbook(s) are good for portability where I need a wintel
> > box while I'm on the move. I certainly don't do (or try hard to
> > avoid doing) any heavy duty work on them. And for that they serve
> > nicely.
>
> #5 a (cute) daughter purchased a lappie so it could be moved to where
> the 3yo & 18mo could not get their little grubbies on it. The
> stationary 32" plasma makes an ideal target for the 18mo. The bad
> news is it is my tv. I have 2 lappies a P2/3 (not sure) Toshiba
> 4000CDT for DOS and a P4 HP for well I am not sure what it is for. As
> I never paid for either it does not really matter.

The manufacturers make the laptops look pretty good these days.

I think thats what sells them.

My niece got a new Asus with Win7 last week ($799).

Nice unit, but no provision for dialup - which they still use in the
country areas. So she has to get a USB modem. No PCMCIA card slot
either.

The laptops probably are a bit greener than the desktops on electricity.

But that Asus, the touch pad and buttons are horrible chromed smooth
things with no tactile feedback. The whole thing looks nice, but it's
not really nice to use. Typical reflective LCD screen.

But it's trendy so they just love em.

From: SG1 on

"me here" <gloaming_agnet(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> stationary 32" plasma makes an ideal target for the 18mo. The bad
>> news is it is my tv. I have 2 lappies a P2/3 (not sure) Toshiba
>> 4000CDT for DOS and a P4 HP for well I am not sure what it is for. As
>> I never paid for either it does not really matter.
>
> The manufacturers make the laptops look pretty good these days.
>
> I think thats what sells them.
>
> My niece got a new Asus with Win7 last week ($799).
>
> Nice unit, but no provision for dialup - which they still use in the
> country areas. So she has to get a USB modem. No PCMCIA card slot
> either.
>
> The laptops probably are a bit greener than the desktops on electricity.
>
> But that Asus, the touch pad and buttons are horrible chromed smooth
> things with no tactile feedback. The whole thing looks nice, but it's
> not really nice to use. Typical reflective LCD screen.

Never was trendy, I do repeat myself.
I never paid for either, it does not really matter.

From: Rod Speed on
John Tserkezis wrote
> Don McKenzie wrote

>> One Laptop Per Child delivers 200 laptops to Territory
>> kids in Yirrkala Non-profit outfit continues to roll out
>> budget XO laptops to children in remote areas

> This brings up another somewhat related point.
> What's the appeal of laptops?

They're rather more practical to hand out to kids.

> My 10yo niece was whining to me that they were originally
> told they were getting laptops, but her school had taken
> delivery of a bunch of brand spanking new desktops instead.

> The laptops were to be permanently tethered (presumably
> via a Kensington lock) and never intended to be moved at all.
> Like the desktops will be.

That isnt what those fools OLPC fools are doing.

Bet they dont last long.

> Perhaps this was a 10yo's over-active perception here,

Corse it is.

> but the reaction was akin to expecting 15 PCs, but actually taking delivery
> of two second hand pocket calculators instead. The non-scientific kind.

Sure, but she clearly doesnt have a clue if they are both going to be permanently tethered.

> It's not just her either. Family friends upgrading, are
> looking at laptops to replace their aging desktops.

Yeah, more and more are doing that.

> They don't need the portability, they tether the machines to one spot, but they
> appear happy to make do with a smaller screen, smaller keyboard, limited
> upgraded potential, a F%#king trackpad instead of a more useful mouse,

Those that arent completey hidebound get used to them.

> AND a generally higher price to boot. On top of that,
> because they'll never cycle their batteries, it's almost
> guaranteed to bed dead within the year.

Mine lasted much longer than that and is still doing fine.

And none of the laptops I support have died in that time either.

> I'm expecting them to whine about the few-month
> warranty on batteries for this exact reason.

You're in for a surprise.

> What makes people do this?

Laptops have some advantages, and some downsides.

> I understand the "flavour of the month" attraction, but this is way past silly.

Not really. Few ever bother to upgrade, Most dont need
the better performance of the better desktops either.

> Don't get me wrong, lap/note/netbooks have their purpose,
> I have three myself, (seven if you count the broken ones),
> but I have a higher end desktop, a server, another server
> (that I only use for destructive testing), another server that
> will go into service when I get some time, and another two
> PCs that are quite old that I haven't found an embedded
> purpose for yet.

> I do the *vast* majority of my work on the one desktop
> simply because it's the ideal hardware base for the work.

I do the vast bulk of my work on the desktops too.

But then both of us do nothing like what most simple users do.

One of those who now use laptops exclusively, because they are motor
homers, has added a desktop, but literally does nothing but play freecell
and the reason they went for a desktop was because the cheapest one
was cheaper than the cheapest laptop, before netbooks.

> The lap/netbook(s) are good for portability where I need a wintel
> box while I'm on the move. I certainly don't do (or try hard to avoid
> doing) any heavy duty work on them. And for that they serve nicely.

And none of the users you are talking about EVER do any of what
you call heavy duty work. Which is why laptops work fine for them.

From: Rod Speed on
SG1 wrote:
> "Clocky" <notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message
>> John Tserkezis wrote:

>>> This brings up another somewhat related point. What's the appeal of
>>> laptops?
>>>
>>> My 10yo niece was whining to me that they were originally told they
>>> were getting laptops, but her school had taken delivery of a bunch
>>> of brand spanking new desktops instead.
>>>
>>> The laptops were to be permanently tethered (presumably via a
>>> Kensington lock) and never intended to be moved at all. Like the
>>> desktops will be.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this was a 10yo's over-active perception here, but the
>>> reaction was akin to expecting 15 PCs, but actually taking delivery
>>> of two second hand pocket calculators instead. The non-scientific
>>> kind.
>>>
>>> It's not just her either. Family friends upgrading, are looking at
>>> laptops to replace their aging desktops. They don't need the
>>> portability, they tether the machines to one spot, but they appear
>>> happy to make do with a smaller screen, smaller keyboard, limited
>>> upgraded potential, a F%#king trackpad instead of a more useful
>>> mouse, AND a generally higher price to boot. On top of that,
>>> because they'll never cycle their batteries, it's almost guaranteed
>>> to bed dead within the year. I'm expecting them to whine about the
>>> few-month warranty on batteries for this exact reason.
>>>
>>> What makes people do this? I understand the "flavour of the month"
>>> attraction, but this is way past silly.
>>>

>>> Don't get me wrong, lap/note/netbooks have their purpose, I have
>>> three myself, (seven if you count the broken ones), but I have a
>>> higher end desktop, a server, another server (that I only use for
>>> destructive testing), another server that will go into service when
>>> I get some time, and another two PCs that are quite old that I
>>> haven't found an embedded purpose for yet.
>>> I do the *vast* majority of my work on the one desktop simply
>>> because it's the ideal hardware base for the work.
>>>
>>> The lap/netbook(s) are good for portability where I need a wintel
>>> box while I'm on the move. I certainly don't do (or try hard to
>>> avoid doing) any heavy duty work on them. And for that they serve
>>> nicely.
>>
>> Kids would be better off learning stuff like long division
>> multiplication tables and actually learn to use their brains to work
>> stuff out. My nephew is an top level student yet I'm astounded more about what
>> he doesn't know then what he does.
>
> Try asking a kid to do maths in their head.

Just had a pharmacist do that in the last few days.
Corse he does appear to be a relatively recent immigrant.

> What a radical idea today.

I cant do it, but an not stupid enough to do it myself.

> When I am having a good day the brain gets used if not then silicon.

I'm not stupid enough to do it in my head unless there is no silicon available.

And thats true of even cutting some shelves to fit the existing metal racking etc too.

Being able to do long division isnt something I have been stupid enough to
do in my head for something like 50 years now even tho I could if I wanted to.