From: Rob on
W7 OS

This morning I was on the net early and able to download my emails etc

Then went into the browser looked at a couple of items then no access
tried a modem reboot still no web access (browser or email).

Swapped over cables. Was able to access the modem from my computer.

Modem always on.

Yet whilst all this was happening another computer on XP was able to
connect without problems. Wireless connection was OK as well

Looking at the network setup found that my PC had been changed to a
public network and internet was not connecting and being blocked.

Why it changed - not sure. went through the wizard still could not get
it to see the home network just stayed on the public network.

I did a restore point back a couple of days and the home network
appeared again and the internet was up.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why it would change from a home
network to public. Thinking that someone maybe doing a hack?? and if
so whats the best method to stop attacks?

Or should I say what the correct modem setup so it can't be hacked (more
difficult to hack)

Hope that's clear as mud.

From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
Rob wrote:
> W7 OS
>
> This morning I was on the net early and able to download my emails etc
>
> Then went into the browser looked at a couple of items then no access
> tried a modem reboot still no web access (browser or email).
>
> Swapped over cables. Was able to access the modem from my computer.
>
> Modem always on.
>
> Yet whilst all this was happening another computer on XP was able to
> connect without problems. Wireless connection was OK as well
>

> Looking at the network setup found that my PC had been changed to a
> public network and internet was not connecting and being blocked.
>
> Why it changed - not sure. went through the wizard still could not get
> it to see the home network just stayed on the public network.
>
> I did a restore point back a couple of days and the home network
> appeared again and the internet was up.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to why it would change from a home
> network to public. Thinking that someone maybe doing a hack?? and if
> so whats the best method to stop attacks?

It just does , it took a while for things to settle down but ggogle
for the solution as until you modify settings it just happens , maybe
trying to save ou from yourself ?

From: Will S on
well what sort of wireless protection do you have ?

Me, I turned of my wireless

anyway thats just one suggestion but the oblivious question would be did you
install anything ?

also the emails you looked at..... anything strange about them

From: Rob on
On 7/04/2010 9:19 AM, Will S wrote:
> well what sort of wireless protection do you have ?
>
> Me, I turned of my wireless
>
> anyway thats just one suggestion but the oblivious question would be did
> you install anything ?
>
> also the emails you looked at..... anything strange about them

Nothing untoward or irregular in the emails Looked at them in Mailwasher
first.

Settings om modem wireless - WAP2-PSK security - password encryttion

Have now changed that and the modem password.

My PC was left on but had shut down into sleep mode.

What I did notice is my offpeak downloads have increased but I can't
figure where I have used the amount. (8Gb) I don't/don't have to, use my
off peak for downloads.

Still think its been remotely changed.

From: Will S on

> On 7/04/2010 9:19 AM, Will S wrote:
>> well what sort of wireless protection do you have ?
>>
>> Me, I turned of my wireless
>>
>> anyway thats just one suggestion but the oblivious question would be did
>> you install anything ?
>>
>> also the emails you looked at..... anything strange about them
>>

> Nothing untoward or irregular in the emails Looked at them in Mailwasher
> first.
>
> Settings om modem wireless - WAP2-PSK security - password encryttion
>
> Have now changed that and the modem password.
>
> My PC was left on but had shut down into sleep mode.
>
> What I did notice is my offpeak downloads have increased but I can't
> figure where I have used the amount. (8Gb) I don't/don't have to, use my
> off peak for downloads.
>
> Still think its been remotely changed.

I think someone has been using your wireless and I would change the password
quite regularly