From: Rob on
On 7/04/2010 3:58 PM, Will S wrote:

> "Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 7/04/2010 9:19 AM, Will S wrote:
>>> well what sort of wireless protection do you have ?
>>>
>>> Me, I turned of my wireless
>>>
>>> anyway thats just one suggestion but the oblivious question would be did
>>> you install anything ?
>>>
>>> also the emails you looked at..... anything strange about them
>>>

>> Nothing untoward or irregular in the emails Looked at them in
>> Mailwasher first.
>>
>> Settings om modem wireless - WAP2-PSK security - password encryttion
>>
>> Have now changed that and the modem password.
>>
>> My PC was left on but had shut down into sleep mode.
>>
>> What I did notice is my offpeak downloads have increased but I can't
>> figure where I have used the amount. (8Gb) I don't/don't have to, use
>> my off peak for downloads.
>>
>> Still think its been remotely changed.
>

> I think someone has been using your wireless and I would change the
> password quite regularly

Have done that.
From: idgat on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:48:49 +1000, Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>W7 OS
>
>This morning I was on the net early and able to download my emails etc
>
>Then went into the browser looked at a couple of items then no access
>tried a modem reboot still no web access (browser or email).
>
>Swapped over cables. Was able to access the modem from my computer.
>
>Modem always on.
>
>Yet whilst all this was happening another computer on XP was able to
>connect without problems. Wireless connection was OK as well
>

>Looking at the network setup found that my PC had been changed to a
>public network and internet was not connecting and being blocked.
>
>Why it changed - not sure. went through the wizard still could not get
>it to see the home network just stayed on the public network.
>
>I did a restore point back a couple of days and the home network
>appeared again and the internet was up.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions as to why it would change from a home
>network to public. Thinking that someone maybe doing a hack?? and if
>so whats the best method to stop attacks?
>
>Or should I say what the correct modem setup so it can't be hacked (more
>difficult to hack)
>
>Hope that's clear as mud.

My guess : an overnight (incompatible) update to your a/v-f/wall
software.

Using TrendMicro? - Happens occassionally.
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: Rob on
On 8/04/2010 7:00 AM, idgat wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:48:49 +1000, Rob<mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> W7 OS
>>
>> This morning I was on the net early and able to download my emails etc
>>
>> Then went into the browser looked at a couple of items then no access
>> tried a modem reboot still no web access (browser or email).
>>
>> Swapped over cables. Was able to access the modem from my computer.
>>
>> Modem always on.
>>
>> Yet whilst all this was happening another computer on XP was able to
>> connect without problems. Wireless connection was OK as well
>>

>> Looking at the network setup found that my PC had been changed to a
>> public network and internet was not connecting and being blocked.
>>
>> Why it changed - not sure. went through the wizard still could not get
>> it to see the home network just stayed on the public network.
>>
>> I did a restore point back a couple of days and the home network
>> appeared again and the internet was up.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to why it would change from a home
>> network to public. Thinking that someone maybe doing a hack?? and if
>> so whats the best method to stop attacks?
>>
>> Or should I say what the correct modem setup so it can't be hacked (more
>> difficult to hack)
>>
>> Hope that's clear as mud.
>
> My guess : an overnight (incompatible) update to your a/v-f/wall
> software.
>
> Using TrendMicro? - Happens occassionally.
> --
> idgat
> Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.

No - all updates or modifications to the OS require a user account
authorisation (box pops up). This is Windows 7.

Besides I don't have any large downloads/updates.

My biggest DL has been W7 iso's from MS web site which I initiated.
Don't do movies.

I have now changed the passwords in the modem and this morning there was
only 24Mb from 12-8am which was expected use. Maybe a UTube.

Just a mystery why it happened seems to be OK now.

From: Geoff Lock on
Rob wrote:
> On 8/04/2010 7:00 AM, idgat wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:48:49 +1000, Rob<mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> W7 OS
>>>
>>> This morning I was on the net early and able to download my emails etc
>>>
>>> Then went into the browser looked at a couple of items then no access
>>> tried a modem reboot still no web access (browser or email).
>>>
>>> Swapped over cables. Was able to access the modem from my computer.
>>>
>>> Modem always on.
>>>
>>> Yet whilst all this was happening another computer on XP was able to
>>> connect without problems. Wireless connection was OK as well

>>> Hope that's clear as mud.
>>

> I have now changed the passwords in the modem and this morning there was
> only 24Mb from 12-8am which was expected use. Maybe a UTube.
>
> Just a mystery why it happened seems to be OK now.

You are now the third person I have encountered who has lost large amts
(10-15GBs) of bandwidth since last mth. One person was on Optus and the
other was on Telstra. The Optus person was running Win XP and the
Telstra person was running Win 7. Both were running wireless (secured by
WPA-PSK).

Methinks WPA-PSK is going the way of WEP.
From: Rod Speed on
Geoff Lock wrote:
> Rob wrote:

>> I have now changed the passwords in the modem and this morning there
>> was only 24Mb from 12-8am which was expected use. Maybe a UTube.
>>
>> Just a mystery why it happened seems to be OK now.
>
> You are now the third person I have encountered who has lost large
> amts (10-15GBs) of bandwidth since last mth. One person was on Optus
> and the other was on Telstra. The Optus person was running Win XP and
> the Telstra person was running Win 7. Both were running wireless
> (secured by WPA-PSK).
>

> Methinks WPA-PSK is going the way of WEP.

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'