From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Is why are HLL people so much concerned with *speed*.

Actually nowadays computers are really *fast*.
Problem is *large memory footprint*.
When you code in assembler you don;t have to think about speed,
rather art and elegance. Or if you can think about speed
if you want.
There is no machine that can produce algorithm.
There is no compiler that can optimize better than human.
It's simply *too difficult task*. Compiler assembler
output is clumsy and illogical. Bloated if you wish.
IMO. It's just opinion, please do not respond.

Another conclusion.

Greets!
--
http://maxa.homedns.org/

Sometimes online sometimes not

Svima je "dozvoljeno" biti idiot i

From: wolfgang kern on

"Branimir Maksimovic" said:

> Is why are HLL people so much concerned with *speed*.

Because they believe in their Holy Compilers ? : )

> Actually nowadays computers are really *fast*.

Mine is 'Fast' (quad core 3GHz)

> Problem is *large memory footprint*.

Yes, often just the result of HLL styled code.

> When you code in assembler you don;t have to think about speed,
> rather art and elegance. Or if you can think about speed
> if you want.

Disagree here, I use Asm/machine-code to have opportunities
for controlling speed/size/performance.

> There is no machine that can produce algorithm.
> There is no compiler that can optimize better than human.
> It's simply *too difficult task*.
> Compiler assembler output is clumsy and illogical.
> Bloated if you wish.

YES for all the above.

> IMO. It's just opinion, please do not respond.

Too late, I already typed it in :)

> Another conclusion.

There is only one LOGIC.
__
wolfgang

From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On May 28, 10:58 am, Branimir Maksimovic <bm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is why are HLL people so much concerned with *speed*.
>
> Actually nowadays computers are really *fast*.
> Problem is *large memory footprint*.

Not only that. They choose or invent bad algorithms for one reason or
another. Sometimes those are contained in the standard libraries and
it's difficult to resist to do your job quickly even if the choice of
the solution is bad.

> When you code in assembler you don;t have to think about speed,
> rather art and elegance. Or if you can think about speed
> if you want.
> There is no machine that can produce algorithm.
> There is no compiler that can optimize better than human.
> It's simply *too difficult task*.

It depends. If you need to solve an NP hard problem, for example,
there may be several problems:
- you're uneducated and you try to brute force it and, of course, more
often than not, you have a perf problem with this kind of solution
- you use dynamic programming, but unfortunately, the size of the
problem is so big that you just have to use a lot of memory and you
hit either perf or size probelms or both, unless you find a way to
solve the problem in a different manner (say, find an approximate
solution using less memory and computation time)
These same problems are applicable to asm programmers, btw.

> Compiler assembler
> output is clumsy and illogical. Bloated if you wish.
> IMO. It's just opinion, please do not respond.
>
> Another conclusion.

Don't draw your conclusions too quickly. There may be other reasons
for why things are the way they are. What you see may be just a part
of the problem and maybe not really a significant one. Look at who
writes programs and how their business is run to see a bigger picture.

Alex
From: Rod Pemberton on
"Alexei A. Frounze" <alexfrunews(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On May 28, 10:58 am, Branimir Maksimovic <bm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is why are HLL people so much concerned with *speed*.
> >

> Not only that. They choose or invent bad algorithms for one reason or
> another. Sometimes those are contained in the standard libraries and
> it's difficult to resist to do your job quickly even if the choice of
> the solution is bad.

I know!

I should be able to just change the C code for the string.h or stdio.h
routines that I don't like and the compiler should compile in my new code
for every application from there onwards. It should do so entirely without
me having to rebuild the library or compiler. But, either way, it'd take a
really fast machine to (re)compile all that stuff in a reasonable amount of
time... So, he's right, the concern of HLL people with *speed* is
completely irrational. There's just no need for it. (sarcasm) ;-)

RP

From: Branimir Maksimovic on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 03:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
"Alexei A. Frounze" <alexfrunews(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 28, 10:58 am, Branimir Maksimovic <bm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Is why are HLL people so much concerned with *speed*.
> >
> > Actually nowadays computers are really *fast*.
> > Problem is *large memory footprint*.
>
> Not only that. They choose or invent bad algorithms for one reason or
> another. Sometimes those are contained in the standard libraries and
> it's difficult to resist to do your job quickly even if the choice of
> the solution is bad.
>
> > When you code in assembler you don;t have to think about speed,
> > rather art and elegance. Or if you can think about speed
> > if you want.
> > There is no machine that can produce algorithm.
> > There is no compiler that can optimize better than human.
> > It's simply *too difficult task*.
>
> It depends. If you need to solve an NP hard problem, for example,
> there may be several problems:

Only humans can understand and program machine language.
Other kind needs translation.
Don;t write comments.

> Alex

Branimir.