From: ToddAndMargo on
Help!

I just upgraded a TS from ws2000 to ws2003. Works great, except that
one single program (Process Pro) that everyone uses will only print
for certain users. All admin users can print through the program. If
you open any user's desktop, he can print with EVERY program, except
the one everyone needs to use. Just this one program will not print
and only certain non-admin users. I can not find any system
difference between the users! [editorial comment]
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! [/editorial comment]

Does any have any idea that might help this? I am going nuts! (And
the users are about to kill me!)

Many thanks,
-T
From: Vera Noest on
ToddAndMargo <toddandmargo(a)gmail.com> wrote on 13 apr 2010:

> Help!
>
> I just upgraded a TS from ws2000 to ws2003. Works great, except
> that one single program (Process Pro) that everyone uses will
> only print for certain users. All admin users can print through
> the program. If you open any user's desktop, he can print with
> EVERY program, except the one everyone needs to use. Just this
> one program will not print and only certain non-admin users. I
> can not find any system difference between the users!
> [editorial comment] AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! [/editorial
> comment]
>
> Does any have any idea that might help this? I am going nuts!
> (And the users are about to kill me!)
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

We need some basic facts to be able to help you:

Which server version are you running, 2003 or 2008?
If 2008, are you using EasyPrint?
What kind of printer are we talking about here? Redirected session
printer, or a shared network printer?
What is the exact make and model of the printer and which driver
are you using?
What happens when the users try to print? Do they get any error
messages? Are there any Events in the EventLog?

Vera Noest
Remote Desktop Services troubleshooting
http://ts.veranoest.net
From: Rob on
ToddAndMargo <toddandmargo(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Help!
>
> I just upgraded a TS from ws2000 to ws2003. Works great, except that
> one single program (Process Pro) that everyone uses will only print
> for certain users. All admin users can print through the program. If
> you open any user's desktop, he can print with EVERY program, except
> the one everyone needs to use. Just this one program will not print
> and only certain non-admin users. I can not find any system
> difference between the users! [editorial comment]
> AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! [/editorial comment]
>
> Does any have any idea that might help this? I am going nuts! (And
> the users are about to kill me!)

Did you ask the maker of the program what actions he might be
performing in the print function that might require administrator
prileges?

Maybe he is creating a file in %windir%\Temp instead of %Temp% for
example.

When you know what the problematic function is, you might be able
to work around it (by assigning permissions to some folder, for
example) or the programmer may be able to fix it.
From: ToddAndMargo on
On 04/12/2010 06:06 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Help!
>
> I just upgraded a TS from ws2000 to ws2003. Works great, except that
> one single program (Process Pro) that everyone uses will only print
> for certain users. All admin users can print through the program. If
> you open any user's desktop, he can print with EVERY program, except
> the one everyone needs to use. Just this one program will not print
> and only certain non-admin users. I can not find any system
> difference between the users! [editorial comment]
> AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! [/editorial comment]
>
> Does any have any idea that might help this? I am going nuts! (And
> the users are about to kill me!)
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Okay. I figured it out. Process Pro can not print if it does not
have a default printer set. And, "some" non-domain admin users
do not have default printers as they are missing this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"Device"=""

Each problematic user that I have added this key to has
started printing. (You have to log out and back in after
setting the key.)

-T

From: Rob on
ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> Okay. I figured it out. Process Pro can not print if it does not
> have a default printer set. And, "some" non-domain admin users
> do not have default printers as they are missing this registry key:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
> "Device"=""
>
> Each problematic user that I have added this key to has
> started printing. (You have to log out and back in after
> setting the key.)

With an actual value? Or with the empty value shown above?