From: Louis Epstein on
I have FreeBSD 7.3 running with Gnome and try to launch the OpenTTD 1.0.1
port...nothing visibly happens.When I exit Gnome (which takes Ctrl-Alt-F1
followed by Ctrl-C) I get error messages about a graphics package not
being loaded...as far as I know OpenTTD 1.x has graphics built in (unlike
OpenTTD 0.x).

Any fix?...does make vs. gmake make any difference?

-=-=-
From: Patrick Lamaizière on
Louis Epstein :

> I have FreeBSD 7.3 running with Gnome and try to launch the OpenTTD 1.0.1
> port...nothing visibly happens.When I exit Gnome (which takes Ctrl-Alt-F1
> followed by Ctrl-C) I get error messages about a graphics package not
> being loaded...as far as I know OpenTTD 1.x has graphics built in (unlike
> OpenTTD 0.x).

You have to download the graphics package. The free package is openGfx
http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/releases/0.2.4/

You should download the sounds package too:
http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenSFX

I've not tried the sounds package yet but openGFX is working here.

From: Louis Epstein on
Patrick Lamaiziere <adresse(a)est.invalid> wrote:
: Louis Epstein :
:
:> I have FreeBSD 7.3 running with Gnome and try to launch the OpenTTD 1.0.1
:> port...nothing visibly happens.When I exit Gnome (which takes Ctrl-Alt-F1
:> followed by Ctrl-C) I get error messages about a graphics package not
:> being loaded...as far as I know OpenTTD 1.x has graphics built in (unlike
:> OpenTTD 0.x).
:
: You have to download the graphics package. The free package is openGfx
: http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX
: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/releases/0.2.4/

So the OpenTTD makefile doesn't take care of this?
As I said,I thought the graphics were integrated as of OpenTTD 1.x,
and thee link you give is a little ambiguous as to where to install
the download.

: You should download the sounds package too:
: http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenSFX
:
: I've not tried the sounds package yet but openGFX is working here.

You're running the game silent?

-=-=-
From: Patrick Lamaizière on
Louis Epstein :

> Patrick Lamaiziere <adresse(a)est.invalid> wrote:
> : Louis Epstein :
> :
> :> I have FreeBSD 7.3 running with Gnome and try to launch the OpenTTD 1.0.1
> :> port...nothing visibly happens.When I exit Gnome (which takes Ctrl-Alt-F1
> :> followed by Ctrl-C) I get error messages about a graphics package not
> :> being loaded...as far as I know OpenTTD 1.x has graphics built in (unlike
> :> OpenTTD 0.x).
> :
> : You have to download the graphics package. The free package is openGfx
> : http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX
> : http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/releases/0.2.4/
>
> So the OpenTTD makefile doesn't take care of this?

Looks like no.

> As I said,I thought the graphics were integrated as of OpenTTD 1.x,
> and thee link you give is a little ambiguous as to where to install
> the download.

Download opengfx-0.2.4.zip and opensfx-0.2.3.zip
then unzip them into /usr/local/share/openttd/data
(cd /usr/local/share/openttd/data; unzip open*)

That's all. You may have to choose the sound package in openttd.

> : I've not tried the sounds package yet but openGFX is working here.
>
> You're running the game silent?

No, I have not tried this game yet.
From: Louis Epstein on
Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
: Louis Epstein :
:
:> Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
:> : Louis Epstein :
:> :
:> :> I have FreeBSD 7.3 running with Gnome and try to launch the OpenTTD 1.0.1
:> :> port...nothing visibly happens.When I exit Gnome (which takes Ctrl-Alt-F1
:> :> followed by Ctrl-C) I get error messages about a graphics package not
:> :> being loaded...as far as I know OpenTTD 1.x has graphics built in (unlike
:> :> OpenTTD 0.x).
:> :
:> : You have to download the graphics package. The free package is openGfx
:> : http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX
:> : http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/releases/0.2.4/
:>
:> So the OpenTTD makefile doesn't take care of this?
:
: Looks like no.
:
:> As I said,I thought the graphics were integrated as of OpenTTD 1.x,
:> and thee link you give is a little ambiguous as to where to install
:> the download.
:
: Download opengfx-0.2.4.zip and opensfx-0.2.3.zip
: then unzip them into /usr/local/share/openttd/data
: (cd /usr/local/share/openttd/data; unzip open*)

It's complaining:

Archive: opengfx-0.2.4.zip
caution: filename not matched: opensfx-0.2.3.zip

: That's all. You may have to choose the sound package in openttd.

The Readmes do say to do that.