From: KnowledgeSeaker on
Hello,

I have a 7.1 installation made in March... I made an update of the
ports/ then I deinstalled spamass-milter and sa-spamd (March version)
and reinstalled the 2 ports... Every thing whent fine... but when I
tried to restart the two apps, I got several lines of incoherent
stuff... and no restart... I had to kill the process from the pid not
with the script in /rc.d/

I uninstalled the 2 ports again... but now sendmail seems affected: I
get the same lines of weerd stuff and no restart or stop possible from
sendmail. I'ts a live server and I dont want to kill the process since
I think it wont get back up!

I guess I need to reinstall sendmail... ? But since it's not made from
the /ports/ dont know if it's easy or possible to re install sendmail
with the same default FreeBSD settings.

Or, if someone knows what I did wrong to get these lines (when I try
to stop or restart sendmail):

server1:/etc/mail># make restart
Restarting:.less-history-file:: not found
..search: not found
686
default: not found
dev
netif: not found
if
-interface: not found
-interfqce
-interface: not found
point
ptp: not found
-ifqce
-iface: not found
-interface
lex=: not found
LEX=
spaa: not found
recur
menile: not found
conf
ENABLED: not found
..shell: not found
sendmail sendmail-clientmqueue.

Thanks for any ideas...

PS the var/log/message and maillog dont show anything when making a
restart...
From: Warren Block on
KnowledgeSeaker <marco.a.paquin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I need to reinstall sendmail... ? But since it's not made from
> the /ports/ dont know if it's easy or possible to re install sendmail
> with the same default FreeBSD settings.
>
> Or, if someone knows what I did wrong to get these lines (when I try
> to stop or restart sendmail):
>
> server1:/etc/mail># make restart
> Restarting:.less-history-file:: not found
> .search: not found
> 686
> default: not found
> dev
> netif: not found
> if
> -interface: not found
> -interfqce
> -interface: not found
> point
> ptp: not found
> -ifqce
> -iface: not found
> -interface
> lex=: not found
> LEX=
> spaa: not found
> recur
> menile: not found
> conf
> ENABLED: not found
> .shell: not found
> sendmail sendmail-clientmqueue.

Looks like you pasted something into /etc/mail/Makefile.

From: KnowledgeSeaker on
On 2 juin, 22:15, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> KnowledgeSeaker <marco.a.paq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess I need to reinstall sendmail... ? But since it's not made from
> > the /ports/ dont know if it's easy or possible to re install sendmail
> > with the same default FreeBSD settings.
>
> > Or, if someone knows what I did wrong to get these lines (when I try
> > to stop or restart sendmail):
>
> > server1:/etc/mail># make restart
> > Restarting:.less-history-file:: not found
> > .search: not found
> > 686
> > default: not found
> > dev
> > netif: not found
> > if
> > -interface: not found
> > -interfqce
> > -interface: not found
> > point
> > ptp: not found
> > -ifqce
> > -iface: not found
> > -interface
> > lex=: not found
> > LEX=
> > spaa: not found
> > recur
> > menile: not found
> > conf
> > ENABLED: not found
> > .shell: not found
> >  sendmail sendmail-clientmqueue.
>
> Looks like you pasted something into /etc/mail/Makefile.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Hi,

I checked and it's clean... nothing unusual or containing the words
seens on restart attemps...
bye
From: Giorgos Keramidas on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:23:58 -0700 (PDT), KnowledgeSeaker <marco.a.paquin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 7.1 installation made in March... I made an update of the
> ports/ then I deinstalled spamass-milter and sa-spamd (March version)
> and reinstalled the 2 ports... Every thing whent fine... but when I
> tried to restart the two apps, I got several lines of incoherent
> stuff... and no restart... I had to kill the process from the pid not
> with the script in /rc.d/
>
> I uninstalled the 2 ports again... but now sendmail seems affected: I
> get the same lines of weerd stuff and no restart or stop possible from
> sendmail. I'ts a live server and I dont want to kill the process since
> I think it wont get back up!
>
> I guess I need to reinstall sendmail... ? But since it's not made from
> the /ports/ dont know if it's easy or possible to re install sendmail
> with the same default FreeBSD settings.
>
> Or, if someone knows what I did wrong to get these lines (when I try
> to stop or restart sendmail):
>
> server1:/etc/mail># make restart
> Restarting:.less-history-file:: not found
> .search: not found
> 686
> default: not found
> dev
> netif: not found
> if
> -interface: not found
> -interfqce
> -interface: not found

That doesn't look like normal /usr/bin/make output. What does

which make

show in your root shell?

From: Warren Block on
KnowledgeSeaker <marco.a.paquin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 juin, 22:15, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>> KnowledgeSeaker <marco.a.paq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I guess I need to reinstall sendmail... ? But since it's not made from
>> > the /ports/ dont know if it's easy or possible to re install sendmail
>> > with the same default FreeBSD settings.
>>
>> > Or, if someone knows what I did wrong to get these lines (when I try
>> > to stop or restart sendmail):
>>
>> > server1:/etc/mail># make restart
>> > Restarting:.less-history-file:: not found
>> > .search: not found
>> > 686
>> > default: not found
>> > dev
>> > netif: not found
>> > .shell: not found
>> >  sendmail sendmail-clientmqueue.
>>
>> Looks like you pasted something into /etc/mail/Makefile.
>
> I checked and it's clean... nothing unusual or containing the words
> seens on restart attemps...

Then maybe /etc/mail/Makefile.local or /etc/rc.sendmail ?