From: Bernd Kuhlen on
Hi NG,
this might be the wrong place to ask but I'll try it anyway?
According to the forums on amazonwebservices.com freebsd is not yet
supported as a valid operating system for amazons cloud computing
services. Does anyone know if this is going to happen one day?

Has anyone successfully migrated their freebsd instances into any kind
of (non private) cloud so far? Any hints where to start?

best regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Kuhlen
From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 06/02/2010 09:21 PM, Bernd Kuhlen wrote:
> Hi NG,
> this might be the wrong place to ask but I'll try it anyway?
> According to the forums on amazonwebservices.com freebsd is not yet
> supported as a valid operating system for amazons cloud computing
> services. Does anyone know if this is going to happen one day?
>
> Has anyone successfully migrated their freebsd instances into any kind
> of (non private) cloud so far? Any hints where to start?

You've got two options, you can follow the instructions for running
FreeBSD as a Xen DomU or could use Qemu; why don't you try building a
FreeBSD AMI yourself and upload the same to AWS?

Here at http://werc.homelinux.net/devel/build_ec2_images/ are some
useful links; hope that helps.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Karl Wiebe on
In article <545095702297186385.917149kuhlen-gmx.net(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Bernd Kuhlen wrote:
> According to the forums on amazonwebservices.com freebsd is not yet
> supported as a valid operating system for amazons cloud computing
> services. Does anyone know if this is going to happen one day?

It's not clear when (if ever) this would happen, as development
seems to be focussed on newer/current versions of Xen (3.1.x -
3.3.x). As AWS uses a somewhat custom version of Xen 3.0.3, either
the devs would have to launch a backward-compatibility effort
(unlikely), or else we wait until AWS decides to use a newer version
of Xen as a base. See

http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen

I also assume you've seen section 22.2.2 of the Handbook.

--Karl