From: CeDeROM on
Hello!

I am using the 8.0-RELEASE-p2, for a few times I have updated some
packages with portupgrade and now my system is in a state where some
packages does not run correctly or even does not build from ports,
because of the dependency issues (that actually seems to be met!).
What is the solution for this? Do I have to reinstall 8.0 from scratch
and simply wait for 8.1? What about fresh ports that I want to use and
so the dependencies are updated or installed in two versions (ie.
linpng that changed ABI is left for old packages and new version is
built for new packages).

I will be grateful for good hints in this matter :-)

Best regards,
Tomek
From: Indi on
On 2010-06-02, CeDeROM <tomek.cedro(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am using the 8.0-RELEASE-p2, for a few times I have updated some
> packages with portupgrade and now my system is in a state where some
> packages does not run correctly or even does not build from ports,
> because of the dependency issues (that actually seems to be met!).
> What is the solution for this? Do I have to reinstall 8.0 from scratch
> and simply wait for 8.1? What about fresh ports that I want to use and
> so the dependencies are updated or installed in two versions (ie.
> linpng that changed ABI is left for old packages and new version is
> built for new packages).
>
> I will be grateful for good hints in this matter :-)
>
> Best regards,
> Tomek

You should try runing pkdb -fF, update your ports tree and try
portupgrade -avf

But you might have to deinstall libpng (and possibly libjpg) and
everything that depends on it then build it fresh.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi
From: Michel Talon on
Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
> You should try runing pkdb -fF, update your ports tree and try
> portupgrade -avf
>
> But you might have to deinstall libpng (and possibly libjpg) and
> everything that depends on it then build it fresh.

Fantastic! I had always beleived that the FreeBSD ports system was
foolproof and only idiots like me had problems with it. Another newby
coming to grips with reality...

--

Michel TALON

From: Indi on
On 2010-06-02, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Fantastic! I had always beleived that the FreeBSD ports system was
> foolproof and only idiots like me had problems with it.

You are mistaken if you had the impression that I ever claimed that the
ports system is perfect. As I've said before I find it quite manageable.
If taking measures such as I've described doesn't suit your needs/is too
hard for you then just use something else. No need to be emotional about
it...

It seems to me you should be working on PC-BSD, since its goals appear
to be more in line with your desires.

> Amother newby coming to grips with reality...

You really have trouble with reading comprehension, don't you?

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Bob Eager on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:09:59 +0100, Chronos wrote:

> portupgrade != the ports system. portupgrade has foibles of its own.

Very true. But it's better than it used to be.

I just did my first portupgrade since Christmas (after that I was having
surgery, and then the ports freeze happened). I did eight machines, some
with 600 ports installed.

The perl thing caused a few problems, but nothing major; openoffice built
fine.

I do think that a bit more of a tutorial for portupgrade and its other
programs would help. I may try and write something if people think it's
useful.
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1976)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: