From: Indi on
On 2010-06-02, Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
> On 2010-06-02, CeDeROM <tomek.cedro(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am using the 8.0-RELEASE-p2, for a few times I have updated some
>> packages with portupgrade and now my system is in a state where some
>> packages does not run correctly or even does not build from ports,
>> because of the dependency issues (that actually seems to be met!).
>> What is the solution for this? Do I have to reinstall 8.0 from scratch
>> and simply wait for 8.1? What about fresh ports that I want to use and
>> so the dependencies are updated or installed in two versions (ie.
>> linpng that changed ABI is left for old packages and new version is
>> built for new packages).
>>
>> I will be grateful for good hints in this matter :-)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tomek
>
> You should try runing pkdb -fF, update your ports tree and try
> portupgrade -avf
>
> But you might have to deinstall libpng (and possibly libjpg) and
> everything that depends on it then build it fresh.

Oops, I meant png and jpeg.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi
From: Bob Eager on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 22:30:09 +0100, Chronos wrote:

> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> Very true. But it's better than it used to be.
>>
>> I just did my first portupgrade since Christmas (after that I was
>> having surgery, and then the ports freeze happened). I did eight
>> machines, some with 600 ports installed.
>
> For packages I really rate pkg_replace for this job, especially when
> you're using a local package repository. It's a shell script, pure and
> simple, which needs nothing more than sh and the base package tools to
> work, makes no database files in /var/db/pkg and Just Works. It has
> handled everything I've thrown at it (barring a few tweaks from UPDATING
> that still has to be read, although I'm not aware of any ports
> management system that doesn't require this) without issue, it follows
> MOVED nicely, it has a good, simple configuration file and is relatively
> fast.

Haven't used that. Of course, I do have a local package repository. I
build/update everything on that first, then the others go a lot faster.

>> The perl thing caused a few problems, but nothing major; openoffice
>> built fine.
>
> The perl update went fine for me. Having said that, I do upgrade pretty
> regularly. Now, jpeg-8, on the other hand... What *is* the correct glob
> for that port?

I found packages still depending on perl 5.8 that wanted to install that
too. I overrode that, and then used pkgdb -L to fix the dependencies.

>> I do think that a bit more of a tutorial for portupgrade and its other
>> programs would help. I may try and write something if people think it's
>> useful.
>
> There is already a wiki page if you have access:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/portupgrade

Thanks...I'll take a look at that and see if I can contribute.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1976)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
From: Bob Eager on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 23:10:31 +0100, Chronos wrote:

> It may be that I waited a little while after the bsd.perl.mk update for
> things to settle. I usually do on things that touch other ports in a big
> way, so perhaps I was lucky enough to wait long enough for these issues
> to be caught.

I only did this last weekend.

> Alternatively, if the build system still had perl-5.8.x installed,
> make.conf would still have had PERL_VERSION set which overrides the
> default in bsd.perl.mk. That's the major advantage of a tinderbox: You
> always have a pristine build environment, even when the machine it's
> hosted on is full o' ports.

I updated perl first on the build machine, and it altered PERL_VERSION
correctly.

Not to worry, as I said it wasn't major, and less trouble than I expected
to have.

From: Bob Eager on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:43:25 +0100, Chronos wrote:

> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> I updated perl first on the build machine, and it altered PERL_VERSION
>> correctly.
>>
>> Not to worry, as I said it wasn't major, and less trouble than I
>> expected to have.
>
> Considering the number of changes that would have dragged in (perl,
> jpeg, png, Xorg potentially) that's a remarkably smooth upgrade. I hope
> the gettext update goes as well, which is my tinderbox's next job and
> seems to touch almost everything.

Yup, all of those. It wasn't from choice. I generally have specific
points at which I upgrade ports, but I missed the January window
(university vacation) through being in hospital. So there was a lot to do!

From: Michel Talon on
Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Michel Talon wrote:
>
> > Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
> >> You should try runing pkdb -fF, update your ports tree and try
> >> portupgrade -avf
> >>
> >> But you might have to deinstall libpng (and possibly libjpg) and
> >> everything that depends on it then build it fresh.
> >>

> > Fantastic! I had always beleived that the FreeBSD ports system was
> > foolproof and only idiots like me had problems with it. Another
> > newby coming to grips with reality...
>
> portupgrade != the ports system. portupgrade has foibles of its own.

Yes, this is true. But the ports system itself has problems such that
no automatic upgrade system can work reliably. By work, i mean, not
recompile everything, of course.

--

Michel TALON