From: Indi on
On 2010-06-03, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> Michel Talon wrote:

>> > Fantastic! I had always beleived that the FreeBSD ports system was
>> > foolproof and only idiots like me had problems with it. Another
>> > newby coming to grips with reality...
>>
>> portupgrade != the ports system. portupgrade has foibles of its own.
>
> Yes, this is true. But the ports system itself has problems such that
> no automatic upgrade system can work reliably. By work, i mean, not
> recompile everything, of course.

Please name the OS that automagically updates everything by building
it and does that perfectly every time.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 06/03/2010 04:53 PM, Indi wrote:
> On 2010-06-03, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>>> portupgrade != the ports system. portupgrade has foibles of its own.
>>
>> Yes, this is true. But the ports system itself has problems such that
>> no automatic upgrade system can work reliably. By work, i mean, not
>> recompile everything, of course.
>>

> Please name the OS that automagically updates everything by building
> it and does that perfectly every time.

Nothing is perfect in this world, not even the God ;)

Anyway, downloading source dist files, extracting and building source
based packages and, or ports *just for an upgrade and, or update* seems
a height of stupidity to me; users who do not know and, or are not
competent enough to fine-tune a build lose a lot of CPU cycles, disk IO
and, or bandwidth.

On most of the Linux systems, users not rebuild even a kernel these
days, because there not such thing as GENERIC kernel there.

That's just an opinion only and opinions of course may differ, but never
ever got a satisfactory response on what FreeBSD, Gentoo and, or other
source based distributions' users gain by wasting the above said resources.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Indi on
On 2010-06-03, Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Indi wrote:
>
>> Anyway, your argument is a lot like:
>> "Lamborghinis only average about 13MPG and that makes them terrible
>> sports cars. The Prius is much better for my needs, it gets really
>> good mileage and has plenty of luggage room.
>> Therefore I must make them see the wisdom of usng Priuses in F1,
>> it makes perfect sense!"
>
> May I just try a modification to your analogy? I assume it is BSD
> licensed...
>
> "I've sold my Lamborghini, bought a Prius, but I'm going to hang
> around the Lamborghini dealership, whine, moan and turn potential
> customers away until Lamborghini make a car that is more like the
> Prius, even though most of their existing customers didn't want a
> Prius or, for that matter, the inferior copy of a G-Wiz [1] that is
> likely to result from the changes I propose."
>
> That's the bit that seems illogical to me.
>
> [1] Introducing the G-Wiz, http://www.goingreen.co.uk/ a car so feeble
> that you can have motion or lights, but not both. Those of us with a
> brain have to ask where the electricity comes from? Zero carbon
> electricity fairies?

Spot on, thank you.
:)

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Mark Andrews on
portupgrade would work much better if there was a simple away to
say "rebuild everything that has changed and everything that depends
on those changes." This gets rid of lots of subtle version dependancy
bugs.

"portupgrade -raf" would seem to match that description but it
behaves like "portupgrade -af".

Mark
From: Michel Talon on
Mark Andrews <marka(a)drugs.dv.isc.org> wrote:
> portupgrade would work much better if there was a simple away to
> say "rebuild everything that has changed and everything that depends
> on those changes." This gets rid of lots of subtle version dependancy
> bugs.

The real problem, is that, thanks to human error in some ports, this
information is not always correct. In some cases, the information is not
here at all, because it is supposed to be collected from the file
UPDATING. And in other cases, some ports are massively marked to be
rebuilt when it is not necessary, causing huge pain. This is the reason
why i am saying the the ports system itself has problems. In my opinion,
the existence of the file UPDATING is, in itself, an heresy. It is an
admission of weakness, and an obvious obstacle to automatic updating.
The first urgent step should be to delete this file, and do whatever
necessary to replace it by necessary metadata in the ports system.
For the human errors, unfortunately there is no obvious solution, except
to have formal testing procedures, like the "unstable, testing, stable"
system used by Debian, which has other problems, and the FreeBSD team
doesn't have the necessary man power.

> "portupgrade -raf" would seem to match that description but it
> behaves like "portupgrade -af".
>
> Mark

Portupgrade is and has always been a very fragile program, very buggy,
very slow, a huge disservice to FreeBSD. I think that portmaster is more
rustic, but at least more reasonably bugfree. If one accepts building
from source, i don't see many objections to portmaster. Still i am more
and more convinced that a system based on building from source will never
be reliable, because the team doesn't check the result of the the build
procedure before releasing, except in an informal way, which opens the
door to all sorts of problems.

--

Michel TALON