From: Louis Epstein on
Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:
: Michel Talon wrote:
:
:> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
:>> You should try runing pkdb -fF, update your ports tree and try
:>> portupgrade -avf
:>>
:>> But you might have to deinstall libpng (and possibly libjpg) and
:>> everything that depends on it then build it fresh.
:>>
:>
:> Fantastic! I had always beleived that the FreeBSD ports system was
:> foolproof and only idiots like me had problems with it. Another
:> newby coming to grips with reality...
:
: portupgrade != the ports system. portupgrade has foibles of its own.

What about portsnap?

-=-=-
From: Michel Talon on
Chronos <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> You are criticising a fundamental part of what allows FreeBSD to exist
> at all from the position of a self-confessed non-user. That, above all
> else, is what is causing the arguments.

And this is not exact. I have 2 desktops at work running FreeBSD. I have
confessed using Ubuntu on my *laptop* for another reason, the hardware
support of this laptop is abysmal. So i have continually used FreeBSD
on desktops since FreeBSD-2.2.5, which is very strange for a "non-user".

> I thought Joe User and Jane Hacker were to our scenario what Foo and
> Bar are to examples? I am unaware of any "Jane Hacker" or "Joe User"
> having made comment.

Let me say that Jane Hacker is some character appearing in this
discussion. I have no intention being rude with participants in the
newsgroup, even when some are very rude with me. I have no intention
however to conced i am wrong when i am convinced i am right.

> [1] What would be nice to see in PC-BSD one day is something akin to
> apt-cacher where PBIs and updates are only downloaded once from a
> "master" desktop and then shared between others locally.

PC-BSD is a *different* solution to the same problem, a solution based
on so-called "fat packages" that is packages coming with all their
dependencies. This has advantages and inconvenients compared to the
straight solution (i mean a Debian-like solution). Personnally i am not
able to ponder what is the best choice. But being an Ubuntu user (on my
laptop), i have observed that the Debian-like solution is pretty good.
The "fat packages" solution is basically the one used by Windows people
when they are using Firefox or Openoffice. It is not bad either.
I suspect it would not be very nice whan confronted with hundreds of
such fat packages, but i will restrein emitting an opinion. What i know
for sure is that some FreeBSD developers are contemplating
introducing fat packages in the official project, but maybe this will not
concretize.

--

Michel TALON