From: Noons on
Mark D Powell wrote,on my timestamp of 26/12/2009 2:06 PM:

> "Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running
> on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a
> single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high
> availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch
> application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and
> Oracle Clusterware. "

I'd love to know how many "databases" can be consolidated into one cluster IF
that cluster is running a single node RAC? Isn't that exactly and precisely the
same as moving schemas across instances?
And how is "high availability" any better in a single node RAC than in a single
instance database? And how do "rolling patch application as well as rolling
upgrades" work in a single node RAC?
Oh, it needs more than one node, doesn't it? So exactly what is the point of
all that "one node RAC" utter marketing nonsense?
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 23:27:43 +1100, Noons wrote:

> So exactly what is the point of
> all that "one node RAC" utter marketing nonsense?

That's fairly simple: it is easy to expand one node RAC into two node RAC
and three node RAC. Basically, it's a sales tool. If you already own one
node RAC, you are far more likely to expand it into a several node RAC
than if you just have an Oracle EE server without RAC.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: hpuxrac on
On Dec 27, 9:43 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> >  So exactly what is the point of
> > all that "one node RAC" utter marketing nonsense?
>
> That's fairly simple: it is easy to expand one node RAC into two node RAC
> and three node RAC.  Basically, it's a sales tool. If you already own one
> node RAC, you are far more likely to expand it into a several node RAC
> than if you just have an Oracle EE server without RAC.

The claim of course is that the customers demanded this "feature".

It certainly may have been demanded by Oracle partners who may be able
to sell the one node rac first then upsell to multi node rac later.
From: hpuxrac on
On Dec 25, 10:35 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

snip

> I am very confused with Oracle documentation..
>
> If one can run several instances of a database on One Node, then it
> adds value. For example, one instance can have init.ora optimized for
> OLTP, another instance of init.ora optimezed for DSS etc, still one
> has just one database and one Node. Both instances can ahve thier own
> ORALE_HOME, one can do rolling upgrades.

Why don't you setup a test environment and check it out?
From: newbie on
On Dec 28, 10:30 am, hpuxrac <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 10:35 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > I am very confused with Oracle documentation..
>
> > If one can run several instances of a database on One Node, then it
> > adds value. For example, one instance can have init.ora optimized for
> > OLTP, another instance of init.ora optimezed for DSS etc, still one
> > has just one database and one Node. Both instances can ahve thier own
> > ORALE_HOME, one can do rolling upgrades.
>
> Why don't you setup a test environment and check it out?

snip
Both instances can ahve thier own
> > ORALE_HOME, one can do rolling upgrades.
snip

Huh ?
Are you sure you can do rolling upgrades ?

I dont think so.