From: Noons on
joel garry wrote,on my timestamp of 31/12/2009 3:56 AM:

>>> Failover protection for
>>> database and server
>>> failures
>> Failover to WHAT, since it's a single node?
>
> They are referring to running RAC on a single node of a cluster, so
> they can auto start on another node when failover.

Yeah, but they don't tell anyone that. It's simply stated that one-node RAC can
do all that. It can't. Not by itself.

>>> Operating System Rolling
>>> Upgrades and Patches
>> How? In a single node? I'd love to see proof...
>
> That would be the Omotion utility. "Your search - oracle +omotion
> site:tahiti.oracle.com - did not match any documents. "
>
> Funny what sites come up googling for Omotion. I still have a button
> from the early '80s that has a circular TKB forever and ever and
> ever... (referring to the DEC Task Builder, particularly its
> performance on Rainbow IIRC). Perhaps now we need one that says DKB
> forever and ever and ever and...

Look, when RAC first came out I asked Grant Ronald very specifically: exactly
how does one address upgrades and patches in a RAC setup?

His "reassuring" answer was: "it's all automatic". Alarm bells straight up,
everytime someone from Oracle says: "it's all automatic"!

That was with 9i, nearly 10 years ago! Nowadays, they still can't do it...
I'll bet anything that Omotion only works in one system: the one they use for demos!

>>> Online load balancing and
>>> scale-up
>> And that of course is possible with a single node?
>
> Simple, just move to a larger VM. Or two. (what was that goofy face
> smiley again?)

Oh yeah! LOL!

>>> • Support for all Oracle
>>> supported platforms
>> Ah OK: so single node non_RAC does not support all platforms that RAC supports?
>> Where is the RAC version for Mac osx then?
>
> Glad I wasn't sipping the coffee just then...

But the really sad thing is these marketing nongs make claims like that without
even checking their own product range!
Talk about absolutely, totally, *no clue*!...

Cripes, half the add-on product range of the last two years has been on Linux
only! For a long time the best advantage of Oracle was their portability and
availability in a wide range of platforms, now they are finally shooting
themselves in the foot with their strongest (only?) advantage...

>>> • Increases the benefit of
>>> Oracle VM with the high
>>> availability and scalability of
>>> Oracle RAC
>> How many sites out there are running production RAC dbs in a virtual
>> environment? Last time I asked back in mid2009, I got no answer...
>
> Yeah, it's like how many DB2 environments are running 32000 linux
> images.

ROFL!
Couldn't have said it better!
From: Serge Rielau on
>>> How many sites out there are running production RAC dbs in a virtual
>>> environment? Last time I asked back in mid2009, I got no answer...
>>
>> Yeah, it's like how many DB2 environments are running 32000 linux
>> images.
> ROFL!
> Couldn't have said it better!
I know it's not funny when a joke has to be explained.. but what the
heck was that all about?

--
Serge Rielau
SQL Architect DB2 for LUW

From: hpuxrac on
On Dec 30, 10:12 pm, Serge Rielau <srie...(a)ca.ibm.com> wrote:

snip

> >> Yeah, it's like how many DB2 environments are running 32000 linux
> >> images.
> > ROFL!
> > Couldn't have said it better!
>
> I know it's not funny when a joke has to be explained.. but what the
> heck was that all about?

No idea ... must be some strange inside reference to something.

From: Serge Rielau on
On 12/31/2009 12:10 PM, joel garry wrote:

>>> ROFL!
>>> Couldn't have said it better!
>>
>> I know it's not funny when a joke has to be explained.. but what the
>> heck was that all about?
>
> Just a cheap shot, Serge. You can find a zillion references on the
> web to z-whatever systems, and the news at some point picked up on
> someone running large numbers of linux images just to show it could be
> done. Then taking a sarcastic leap of marketing-will-always-
> exaggerate faith.
I did wonder whether Noons intended to say mainframe instead of DB2.
That was the only way I could resolve the puzzle...

--
Serge Rielau
SQL Architect DB2 for LUW

From: joel garry on
On Dec 31, 12:34 pm, Serge Rielau <srie...(a)ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> >> I know it's not funny when a joke has to be explained.. but what the
> >> heck was that all about?
>
> > Just a cheap shot, Serge.  You can find a zillion references on the
> > web to z-whatever systems, and the news at some point picked up on
> > someone running large numbers of linux images just to show it could be
> > done.  Then taking a sarcastic leap of marketing-will-always-
> > exaggerate faith.
>
> I did wonder whether Noons intended to say mainframe instead of DB2.
> That was the only way I could resolve the puzzle...

That was me goof, sorry! I should've said sites rather than
environments. I can only plead end-of-year workload, and not properly
proofing a silly usenet post.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.