From: zigzagdna on

I have read Oracle’s documentation on this new feature is 11gr2, but
not clear what exactly it does?
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ug_raconenode-2009.pdf
1. Can I have multiple instances of same database on same node of
RAC. In absence of one node RAC, I will have one instance on server 1,
another instance on server2, etc. If only one instance is allowed on
a single node, then what is the purpose of one node RAC? I am not
using vmware or vpar's.

2. During setup/configuration of one node ARC, it asks for names of
other nodes/severs where database can be moved using omotion. If I am
just setting up RAC for learning, I do not have any other servers to
specify. Is it OK not to specify any servers for omotion.
3. Assuming that I can have multiple instances of same database on one
node, is it necessary for me to use ASM. Is it possible to use RAW
devices of UNIX instead of ASM for one node RAC setup?
Thanks a lot.
From: vsevolod afanassiev on
The document is unclear. It seems that there is no big difference
between running Oracle RAC One Node and running normal standalone
instance in a clustered environment where it will run as a cluster
service. May be it improves handling of relocating service
from one node to another? But it still needs to be shut down, while
IBM offers dynamic relocation of an LPAR from one node to another -
without shutdown!

raw devices instead of ASM should be fine
From: Mark D Powell on
On Dec 24, 9:40 am, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have read Oracle’s documentation on this new feature is 11gr2, but
> not clear what exactly it does?http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ug_...
> 1.      Can I have multiple instances of same database on same node of
> RAC. In absence of one node RAC, I will have one instance on server 1,
> another instance on server2, etc.  If only one instance is allowed on
> a single node, then what is the purpose of one node RAC? I am not
> using vmware or vpar's.
>
> 2.      During setup/configuration of  one node ARC, it asks for names of
> other nodes/severs where database  can be moved using omotion. If I am
> just setting up RAC for learning, I do not have any other servers to
> specify. Is it OK not to specify any servers for omotion.
> 3.      Assuming that I can have multiple instances of same database on one
> node, is it necessary for me to use ASM. Is it possible to use RAW
> devices of UNIX instead of ASM for one node RAC setup?
> Thanks a lot.

"Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running
on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a
single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high
availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch
application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and
Oracle Clusterware. "

Ref: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ds-oracleraconenode-2009.pdf

Much more detail is available at
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e10718/whatsnew.htm

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
From: zigzagdna on
On Dec 25, 10:06 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 9:40 am, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I have read Oracle’s documentation on this new feature is 11gr2, but
> > not clear what exactly it does?http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ug_...
> > 1.      Can I have multiple instances of same database on same node of
> > RAC. In absence of one node RAC, I will have one instance on server 1,
> > another instance on server2, etc.  If only one instance is allowed on
> > a single node, then what is the purpose of one node RAC? I am not
> > using vmware or vpar's.
>
> > 2.      During setup/configuration of  one node ARC, it asks for names of
> > other nodes/severs where database  can be moved using omotion. If I am
> > just setting up RAC for learning, I do not have any other servers to
> > specify. Is it OK not to specify any servers for omotion.
> > 3.      Assuming that I can have multiple instances of same database on one
> > node, is it necessary for me to use ASM. Is it possible to use RAW
> > devices of UNIX instead of ASM for one node RAC setup?
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> "Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running
> on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a
> single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high
> availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch
> application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and
> Oracle Clusterware. "
>
> Ref:http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ds-....
>
> Much more detail is available athttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e10718/whatsnew.htm
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

>Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running
> on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a
> single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high
> availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch
> application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and
> Oracle Clusterware. "

If one can have only single instance of a database on one Node
(server) and one needs another server for
failover, what is differentce in one Node RAC vs two Node RAC. Why one
won't want to run one instance on one Node (one server) another on
another Node (on a dufferent server) I do not see any diference.

I am very confused with Oracle documentation..

If one can run several instances of a database on One Node, then it
adds value. For example, one instance can have init.ora optimized for
OLTP, another instance of init.ora optimezed for DSS etc, still one
has just one database and one Node. Both instances can ahve thier own
ORALE_HOME, one can do rolling upgrades.

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:35:16 -0800, zigzagdna wrote:

> what is differentce in one Node RAC vs two Node RAC.

The answer to that is: one node. Two node RAC has one node more than the
one node RAC. The difference between the three node RAC and one node RAC
is 2 nodes. Merry Christmas.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com