From: Vince Coen on
Hello All!

Does anyone know if there is pro*cobol available on one of the free Oracle 11g
(or later) variants.

I would like to play with it with Open Cobol (if poss) and may be rework
generated results to operate with Mysql.

I downloaded cobolcompiler-sources/oracle-xe-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm

but its hard to see what is included!

Vince

From: Richard on
On Mar 18, 2:36 pm, "Vince Coen" <VBCoenDesp...(a)btconnect.com> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Does anyone know if there is pro*cobol available on one of the free Oracle 11g
> (or later)  variants.
>
> I would like to play with it with Open Cobol (if poss) and may be rework
> generated results to operate with Mysql.
>
> I downloaded cobolcompiler-sources/oracle-xe-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm
>
> but its hard to see what is included!

Use midnight commander (mc). This has a virtual file system for RPMs
(and tar, zip, gz, etc). Navigate to the rpm file, press enter and it
goes inside. CONTENTS.cpio is a directory of the files being installed
so you can move around to see what is there.

yum install mc

From: HeyBub on
Richard wrote:

> Use midnight commander (mc). This has a virtual file system for RPMs
> (and tar, zip, gz, etc). Navigate to the rpm file, press enter and it
> goes inside. CONTENTS.cpio is a directory of the files being installed
> so you can move around to see what is there.

As long as we're trumpeting software, I'd like to suggest Mikogo.

Mikogo is a remote desktop tool that allows you to transfer the desktop,
mouse, and keyboard to your machine - or vice-versa. You can also move files
between machines.

Mikogo is free, even for commercial use, and does not require anything to be
installed on the remote computer.

The remote user simply navigates to www.mikogo.com and enters a session-id
which you provide. After that, the two machines are as one. Further up to
six additional remote machines can participate in the session.

What makes this product superior to others is that it is free for commercial
use. You can remotely assist one of your clients legally and without
installing anything on their machine.

From: Richard on
On Mar 19, 8:40 am, "HeyBub" <hey...(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
> > Use midnight commander (mc). This has a virtual file system for RPMs
> > (and tar, zip, gz, etc). Navigate to the rpm file, press enter and it
> > goes inside. CONTENTS.cpio is a directory of the files being installed
> > so you can move around to see what is there.
>
> As long as we're trumpeting software, I'd like to suggest Mikogo.

Does it help in finding out what is included in an RPM file ?

> Mikogo is a remote desktop tool that allows you to transfer the desktop,
> mouse, and keyboard to your machine - or vice-versa. You can also move files
> between machines.
>
> Mikogo is free, even for commercial use, and does not require anything to be
> installed on the remote computer.
>
> The remote user simply navigates to www.mikogo.com and enters a session-id
> which you provide. After that, the two machines are as one. Further up to
> six additional remote machines can participate in the session.
>
> What makes this product superior to others is that it is free for commercial
> use. You can remotely assist one of your clients legally and without
> installing anything on their machine.

No. That is not true.

The 'organizer' or 'presenter', ie the machine that is being looked at
by the others, _does_ require software to be installed. In the case of
providing support for a client it is the client that must install the
software so that the support can see the client's problem.

The 'participants' or viewers see the presenter's desktop on their web
browser.

While it is capable of switching to a 'participants' desktop that is
only possible if that user has the software installed.

From: HeyBub on
Richard wrote:
> On Mar 19, 8:40 am, "HeyBub" <hey...(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Use midnight commander (mc). This has a virtual file system for RPMs
>>> (and tar, zip, gz, etc). Navigate to the rpm file, press enter and
>>> it goes inside. CONTENTS.cpio is a directory of the files being
>>> installed so you can move around to see what is there.
>>
>> As long as we're trumpeting software, I'd like to suggest Mikogo.
>
> Does it help in finding out what is included in an RPM file ?

No, Sorry. I was counting on you to be able to deduce that yourself.

We experienced computer users call this "thread drift" - it's fairly
common - and we old-timers sometimes forget that neophytes read what we
write.

I apologize for the oversight.

>> Mikogo is a remote desktop tool that allows you to transfer the
>> desktop, mouse, and keyboard to your machine - or vice-versa. You
>> can also move files between machines.
>>
>> Mikogo is free, even for commercial use, and does not require
>> anything to be installed on the remote computer.
>>
>> The remote user simply navigates to www.mikogo.com and enters a
>> session-id which you provide. After that, the two machines are as
>> one. Further up to six additional remote machines can participate in
>> the session.
>>
>> What makes this product superior to others is that it is free for
>> commercial use. You can remotely assist one of your clients legally
>> and without installing anything on their machine.
>
> No. That is not true.
>
> The 'organizer' or 'presenter', ie the machine that is being looked at
> by the others, _does_ require software to be installed. In the case of
> providing support for a client it is the client that must install the
> software so that the support can see the client's problem.
>
> The 'participants' or viewers see the presenter's desktop on their web
> browser.
>
> While it is capable of switching to a 'participants' desktop that is
> only possible if that user has the software installed.

You are mistaken. The remote location need not load any software or do
anything other than log on to the Mikogo web site. The initiation can be
configured to immediately take control of the remote location's computer
upon connection (with permission). We use this several times a month and I
assure you the remote locations load nothing on their computer.

"...an ideal feature for remote support session organizers. With it, you can
start a session, invite a participant, and have the participant instantly
become the presenter and show their screen to you. You can even obtain
initial remote control of your participant's keyboard & mouse..."

You youngsters should really leave the technical stuff to your betters.