From: Toni on
I just noticed that, when Outlook 2003 sends an email, the header contains the name of
the computer sending the email.

Outlook 2000 used to send the name of the computer, too, but Microsoft acknowledged that
it was a security hole and fixed it with a patch.

I have no problem with my IP address being sent, but sending the name of my computer is
a security hole. I have all the latest patches installed.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to STOP Outlook 2003 from sending the computer name
in the header?

Thanks!!!

From: Toni on
"Roady [MVP]" wrote...
> How is that a security hole?
> I might see it as a privacy risk but it's not a security hole. Your IP address will
> probably tell more about you and you have no problem with that being exposed? ;-)

Without giving away too much detail...

If you know the IP and the name of the computer, you only need the workgroup name and
depending on the user's router and firewall, you can gain control of the computer (think
buffer overflow).

Can someone please answer my question?

From: Carmel on
"Toni" wrote:

> "Roady [MVP]" wrote...
> > How is that a security hole?
> > I might see it as a privacy risk but it's not a security hole. Your IP address will
> > probably tell more about you and you have no problem with that being exposed? ;-)
> >

> Without giving away too much detail...
>
> If you know the IP and the name of the computer, you only need the workgroup name and
> depending on the user's router and firewall, you can gain control of the computer (think
> buffer overflow).

Think 'Microsoft'. The problem is your operating system. While many of your
concerns have been addressed all ready, Microsoft by design is not secure. I
can give you the IP of my machine and its (multiple) workgroup names and you
still could not gain access to my network.

You want security then invest in a secure system like FreeBSD.

--
Carmel

Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
From: Toni on
"Carmel" wrote...

:

> Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

I thought you knew what you were writing about until I read the above bit of common
nonsense.

From: Carmel on
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:38:30 -0400, Toni <Toni(a)nowhere.com> articulated:

> "Carmel" wrote...
> > "Toni" wrote:
> >
> > Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
>
> I thought you knew what you were writing about until I read the above
> bit of common nonsense.

I thought you boys in Jersey knew what that meant!

--
Carmel

Parkinson's Fifth Law:
If there is a way to delay in important decision, the good
bureaucracy, public or private, will find it.