From: cainef on
Hi,
we have deployed Windows 7 Enterprise x86 and have Outlook 2003 SP3 installed.
We have an issue where users cannot open zip files from within Outlook.

When the user gets the e-mail and double clicks the attachment they are
prompted whether they want to save or open - when they click open nothing
happens, no errors and I'm not seeing any additional activity using process
monitor or process explorer.

If the user clicks save they can save the file.
We have no third party archiving utility installed as we are just using the
native features of explorer, and would like to keep it this way.

We have some users that are using Outlook 2007 who are not experiencing this
issue.

Can any one assist here or confirm whether this is supported under Outlook
2003?

Thanks

From: Heather on
outlook 2003 might not be compatible with windows 7. try getting the newer
version MS 2007.

From: Brian Tillman on

Heather;114663 Wrote:
> outlook 2003 might not be compatible with windows 7. try getting the
> newer version MS 2007.

Outlook 2003 is fully compatible with Windows 7.

--
Brian Tillman

[MVP-Outlook]
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Brian Tillman on

cainef;114644 Wrote:
> Hi,
> we have deployed Windows 7 Enterprise x86 and have Outlook 2003 SP3
> installed.
> We have an issue where users cannot open zip files from within
> Outlook.
>
> When the user gets the e-mail and double clicks the attachment they
> are
> prompted whether they want to save or open - when they click open
> nothing
> happens, no errors and I'm not seeing any additional activity using
> process
> monitor or process explorer.
>
> If the user clicks save they can save the file.
> We have no third party archiving utility installed as we are just using
> the
> native features of explorer, and would like to keep it this way.
>
> We have some users that are using Outlook 2007 who are not experiencing
> this
> issue.
>
> Can any one assist here or confirm whether this is supported under
> Outlook
> 2003?

You should be able to open zip files under Outlook 2003. What Windows
does with zip files is a Windows setting. Have someone with the problem
open a command prompt window and enter the following:

c:\> regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

The try the zip file in Outlook again. What happens?

--
Brian Tillman

[MVP-Outlook]
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Outlook 2003 is compatible with Windows 7.

Opening attachments of any type is supported as long as there is a program
installed that handles them but here is something goofy with the zips in
outlook 2003 on win7. Zips do open from the email, if you have a different
zip program installed.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?