From: Aeroloose on
On 5/30/2010 12:34 PM, jekeesl wrote:
> Aeroloose, I went to advanced settings and turned off all four
> notifications. After a shutdown and restart, Outlook checked for mail.
> It rechecked about 35 seconds later, and still showed the notification
> on the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen. My timer was set at 30
> minutes.
>
> I reset the timer to 3 minutes, restarted Outlook, and then sent a test
> mail to myself. Outlook checked for mail 30-35 seconds later, and
> nothing happened. It checked again in roughly 30 seconds, and my test
> message came through. That suggests the polling time is messed up, along
> with the notifications. Other ideas? I guess I'll restore the popup for
> now.

That's odd; it provided a notification even after you turned
it off? Perhaps an Outlook "repair" might help (admittedly
a shotgun approach). Otherwise, I'm running out of
troubleshooting ideas. Since it's related to Hotmail and
Outlook Connector, can you check your Hotmail account
preferences and see if there's anything related to polling
time? Other options are deeper research into OC settings (I
couldn't find much) or a separate trial with a new Hotmail
account to see if it's account-specific.

Best of luck ...

From: jekeesl on
I did an Outlook repair a while back for another issue, and it is relatively
easy. However, I don't know why that would change anything, since this is
not likely an Outlook issue. And, to my knowledge, there are no Hotmail or
Connector settings that changes the timing or available types for
notifications. I guess I'll try contacting Hotmail support, and see if they
have suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

From: John Nice on

>I started a thread on this topic a couple of weeks ago, and thought I would
> summarize in a new thread since the problem persists.
>
> I use Outlook 2007 with Outlook Connector for my primary POP3 and Hotmail
> accounts on Windows 7. All works well, except that Outlook checks for
> mail about once per minute. I do not have Fax Transport activated for my
> mail profile. Several people posted possible fixes as follows:
>
> * Rebooted and started Outlook. Reset Outlook's Auto-send period to
> every 30 minutes.
> * Opened Outlook using safe switch via Start, Run, "outlook.exe /safe".
> * Shut down Outlook, located the srs-files for my mail profile and
> renamed them to .old.
> * Created a new Outlook mail profile and set up the POP3 and Hotmail
> accounts for that profile.
>
> None of the actions listed above affected the current problem. Outlook
> continues to poll for new mail every 60 seconds or so. I was told that if
> this behavior continues, it could corrupt my PST. Do you have any ideas
> on the cause of this problem and a possible solution?

This thread caused me to check my O2007 polling rate: every 60 seconds. I
don't use the Hotmail account much (it's nearly all spam in my case) so I
deleted it from the accounts list.

John

From: Aeroloose on
On 5/30/2010 4:40 PM, jekeesl wrote:
> I did an Outlook repair a while back for another issue, and it is
> relatively easy. However, I don't know why that would change anything,
> since this is not likely an Outlook issue. And, to my knowledge, there
> are no Hotmail or Connector settings that changes the timing or
> available types for notifications. I guess I'll try contacting Hotmail
> support, and see if they have suggestions.
>
> Thanks for your help.

YW. Too bad it wasn't a simple fix. I see another poster
with OC checked his poll rate and got 60 seconds, too; maybe
it's hard-coded into the OC / Hotmail program.

From: jekeesl on
I can't get decent help from Hotmail, but do have an Office package less
than a year old, so can try e-mail support for Outlook 2007. Thanks for
your persistence.