From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
I don't think mine is checking every minute as I use two accounts for test
messages and it takes much longer for them to come in. (I have polling set
to 10 min.) I'm not getting popups every minute as the accounts are
remembering my password - however, if there is something goofy with the
server, internet connection, or my password is wrong, I have gotten the
password prompt in the past and its persistent in wanting to connect.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com> wrote in message

>I don't think mine is checking every minute as I use two accounts for test
>messages and it takes much longer for them to come in. (I have polling set to
>10 min.) I'm not getting popups every minute as the accounts are remembering
>my password - however, if there is something goofy with the server, internet
>connection, or my password is wrong, I have gotten the password prompt in the
>past and its persistent in wanting to connect.

I, too, have a Hotmail account defined and do not notice the 60 second
send/receive interval. I have my send/receive interval set to ten minutes.
I'll pay attention this evening to see if I notice a more frequent poll.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: jekeesl on
I got a note back from MS Outlook Support, and they said that it is normal
for send/receive to check on short intervals with the MAPI account. That
happens because the server is updating other Hotmail stuff (like calendar,
etc.), and the server is controlling intervals. I had never noticed,
though, that type of quick interval in previous years, and have been using
Outlook Connector for a long time. I also thought it was interesting that I
had 60 second intervals with Connector version 12, and 35 second intervals
with Connector version 14.

The Support person said the easy "fix" is to set up Hotmail as a POP3
account. I did see online that you can do so; however, that only downloads
Hotmail to Outlook. It does not update any calendars or contacts, and does
not even synchronize read and deleted messages. I'm not interested in that
approach.

My main concern was whether the frequent polling was normal, and whether it
could cause problems. If you believe my Outlook Support contact, the
frequent polling is standard, per server synchronization settings. If that
is true, then I guess I'll leave it along.

Thanks, all, for your help.

From: Tom Willett on
It appears that you never in the past told us you had an IMAP account. See
what happens when you don't give full information?

Yes, it's normal and won't hurt anything.

:
[...]
: >
: >>I don't think mine is checking every minute as I use two accounts for
test
: >>messages and it takes much longer for them to come in. (I have polling
set
: >>to 10 min.) I'm not getting popups every minute as the accounts are
: >>remembering my password - however, if there is something goofy with the
: >>server, internet connection, or my password is wrong, I have gotten the
: >>password prompt in the past and its persistent in wanting to connect.
: >
: > I, too, have a Hotmail account defined and do not notice the 60 second
: > send/receive interval. I have my send/receive interval set to ten
: > minutes. I'll pay attention this evening to see if I notice a more
: > frequent poll.
: > --
: > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
:

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Huh? He said he was using the Connector in the very first post.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
http://www.outlook-tips.net/