From: jekeesl on
I started a thread on this topic a couple of weeks ago, and thought I would
summarize in a new thread since the problem persists.

I use Outlook 2007 with Outlook Connector for my primary POP3 and Hotmail
accounts on Windows 7. All works well, except that Outlook checks for mail
about once per minute. I do not have Fax Transport activated for my mail
profile. Several people posted possible fixes as follows:

* Rebooted and started Outlook. Reset Outlook's Auto-send period to every
30 minutes.
* Opened Outlook using safe switch via Start, Run, "outlook.exe /safe".
* Shut down Outlook, located the srs-files for my mail profile and renamed
them to .old.
* Created a new Outlook mail profile and set up the POP3 and Hotmail
accounts for that profile.

None of the actions listed above affected the current problem. Outlook
continues to poll for new mail every 60 seconds or so. I was told that if
this behavior continues, it could corrupt my PST. Do you have any ideas on
the cause of this problem and a possible solution?

Thanks,
Jim

From: Aeroloose on
On 5/29/2010 2:24 PM, jekeesl wrote:
> I started a thread on this topic a couple of weeks ago, and thought I
> would summarize in a new thread since the problem persists.
>
> I use Outlook 2007 with Outlook Connector for my primary POP3 and
> Hotmail accounts on Windows 7. All works well, except that Outlook
> checks for mail about once per minute. I do not have Fax Transport
> activated for my mail profile. Several people posted possible fixes as
> follows:
>
> * Rebooted and started Outlook. Reset Outlook's Auto-send period to
> every 30 minutes.
> * Opened Outlook using safe switch via Start, Run, "outlook.exe /safe".
> * Shut down Outlook, located the srs-files for my mail profile and
> renamed them to .old.
> * Created a new Outlook mail profile and set up the POP3 and Hotmail
> accounts for that profile.
>
> None of the actions listed above affected the current problem. Outlook
> continues to poll for new mail every 60 seconds or so. I was told that
> if this behavior continues, it could corrupt my PST. Do you have any
> ideas on the cause of this problem and a possible solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

A quick DAGS shows a recurring theme with Hotmail and
Outlook Connector issues regarding polling times. Here's a
few things to try / check to see if the problem can be
characterized:
- temporarily disable Outlook Connector and see if the
frequency improves;
- temporarily remove the Hotmail account to see if the
frequency improves;
- try both combined.

If any of these are successful, then the subsequent
troubleshooting can be more focused.

If these make no difference, do you have other add-ins
running? BCM (business contact manager) has been mentioned
as a potential culprit.

From: jekeesl on
Aeroloose, I removed my Hotmail account and uninstalled Outlook Connector
(version 12). After I rebooted and restarted Outlook, the checking mail
notification at the bottom of the screen stopped showing on short intervals.
I downloaded the version 14, 32-bit Outlook Connector and installed it.
After I set up my Hotmail account and restarted, polling times got worse
than in the original situation. The notification now pops up every 35
seconds or so. I do not have any other add-ins like BCM running.

I then sent a test note to myself to confirm that Hotmail was set up
properly. Although that send/receive notification continued to pop up every
35 seconds, the mail did not come through. After about 2 minutes, I clicked
to manually send/receive, and it came through fine. Since I have a 3G
wireless account, test messages from my POP3 account to Hotmail usually show
up 5-10 seconds after they're sent, when I manually check for mail. That
suggests the send/receive notification I'm seeing every 35 seconds does not
mean that my mail is actually being checked. Any ideas?

From: Aeroloose on
On 5/29/2010 11:01 PM, jekeesl wrote:
> Aeroloose, I removed my Hotmail account and uninstalled Outlook
> Connector (version 12). After I rebooted and restarted Outlook, the
> checking mail notification at the bottom of the screen stopped showing
> on short intervals. I downloaded the version 14, 32-bit Outlook
> Connector and installed it. After I set up my Hotmail account and
> restarted, polling times got worse than in the original situation. The
> notification now pops up every 35 seconds or so. I do not have any other
> add-ins like BCM running.
>
> I then sent a test note to myself to confirm that Hotmail was set up
> properly. Although that send/receive notification continued to pop up
> every 35 seconds, the mail did not come through. After about 2 minutes,
> I clicked to manually send/receive, and it came through fine. Since I
> have a 3G wireless account, test messages from my POP3 account to
> Hotmail usually show up 5-10 seconds after they're sent, when I manually
> check for mail. That suggests the send/receive notification I'm seeing
> every 35 seconds does not mean that my mail is actually being checked.
> Any ideas?

Interesting. Now it sounds like your polling time may be
OK, but the notification is whacked. Try turning OFF the
pop-up, then exit Outlook, then reboot. Go back into
Outlook (don't enable the pop-up yet), try a couple test
emails, and measure the send/receive interval. Also check
your original send/receive timer setting - what is it now?
Did it match the new interval?

Then restore the pop-up and see what you get.

<snip for top-post readability>

From: jekeesl on
Aeroloose, I went to advanced settings and turned off all four
notifications. After a shutdown and restart, Outlook checked for mail. It
rechecked about 35 seconds later, and still showed the notification on the
bottom, right-hand corner of the screen. My timer was set at 30 minutes.

I reset the timer to 3 minutes, restarted Outlook, and then sent a test mail
to myself. Outlook checked for mail 30-35 seconds later, and nothing
happened. It checked again in roughly 30 seconds, and my test message came
through. That suggests the polling time is messed up, along with the
notifications. Other ideas? I guess I'll restore the popup for now.