From: Rich on
Outlook 2007 Question -

My user is working on an email - she replies to one from another user.
She wants to insert text into the replied mail (in the body of the email)
but when she moves her cursor to an area and clicks, it drops a [] and the
text gets italic.

What proofing or setting is causing this?

Thanks

Rich
From: Toothsome Papa on
It is doing that to make sure everyone knows that the original message is
being "tampered with" so to speak.

From: Rich on
Is there a way to turn it off?

Rich

From: VanguardLH on
Rich wrote:

> Outlook 2007 Question -
>
> My user is working on an email - she replies to one from another user.
> She wants to insert text into the replied mail (in the body of the email)
> but when she moves her cursor to an area and clicks, it drops a [] and the
> text gets italic.
>
> What proofing or setting is causing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

That's how your "user" configured their Outlook to behave. In OL2003
(navigation may differ in OL2007):

Tools -> Options -> Preferences tab -> E-mail Options

See what the user configured for the "Mark my comments with" option. Maybe
she enabled it but left a blank value.

Note: The "Mark my comments with" option will be disabled if Outlook is
configured to use "plain text" as the default format for new e-mails. Plain
text doesn't require any special handling to insert new text inside of
existing text but "indenting" in HTML and RTF requires special handling.