From: netsvcs on
When my Oulook 2007 users try to schedule a resource they get an error stating:

"The operation failed. Cannot directly book a resource for this meeting."

The same users can schedule resources if the use Office XP.

From: Leon Hao [MSFT] on
Hi,

As we have not received any reports regarding this error yet, would you
please help us collect more information first?

* Information Collection
=================

1. Tell me the detailed steps about how this user schedules a resource.
2. Have you customized the settings in Resource Scheduling dialogue box?
(Tools>Options>Calendar Options>Resource Scheduling)
3. Take a screenshot on the error message and send it to me.
** To take a screenshot
---------------------
1. When this error message appears, press PrScrn key on your keyboard.
2. Type ��mspaint�� (without the quotation marks) in Start>Run box and
click OK.
3. Click Edit>Paste to paste the screenshot.
4. Save it as JPEG file type and send it as Email attachment.
---------------------

You can directly send the screenshot to me: <v-lehao(a)microsoft.com>

Meanwhile, you can try the following tests:

* Test 1: Outlook Safe Mode
=====================
Outlook Safe Mode can narrow down issues which are caused by any
extensions, corrupted resources, files, registries, or templates.

1. Click Start | Run.
2. In the Open box, type: "Outlook /safe" (without the quotation marks)
Notes: There is a space character between Outlook and the forward slash (/).
3. Click OK.

* Test 2: Create a new profile
=====================

If this issue persists, I suggest that we create a new Outlook profile. A
new profile is a new environment for us to use Outlook. To create a new
profile is only for a test to see if the problem is related to the corrupt
profile of Outlook. Creating a new profile will not do any damage to the
old profile. Please refer to the following article to create a new profile
in Outlook.

829918 How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;829918

Regards,

Leon Hao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: netsvcs on
I sent the screen captures you requested to your e-mail address. Have you
received those?

From: Leon Hao [MSFT] on
Hi,

Sorry for this delayed response due to the weekend.

First I would like to confirm with you if you have tried my tests in my
previous response. If you do, please tell me the results. For your
convenience, I have also outlined the tests below:

# Test 1: Outlook Safe Mode
# Test 2: Create a new profile

This can help narrow down the issue.

Meanwhile, I have done some further research regarding the error message
you have sent, and found this you may be interested in:

* SYMPTOMS
==========

If a manager that permits delegate access to their calendars tries to
modify a meeting that a delegate created with a direct book resource, the
manager may receive this error message.

* CAUSE
=======

If the delegate has Owner permissions to the Calendar folder, these
permissions are not inherited by the resource mailboxes. When the delegate
directly books an appointment to the resource mailbox on behalf of the
manager, the delegate has become the owner of the appointment item, not the
manager. The delegate is the owner for the items that direct book to the
resource mailbox even though the appointment item displays the manager as
the meeting organizer.

* WORKAROUND
=============

Use one of the following methods to work around this problem:

1. Set up a delegate account that automatically responds to meeting
requests that come to resource mailboxes. With this option, Microsoft
Outlook remains logged on to the delegate account that handles the booking
of resource mailboxes. You do not use the Outlook Direct Booking feature
with this option. -

2. Set the default permission on the resource Calendar folder to Editor.
With this option, everyone can update all appointment items from the
resource account.

3. Give Editor permission to the individuals that have to update the
appointment items from the resource Calendar folder. With this option,
those people who have Editor permission can update all appointment items
from the resource account.

Here is a KB article describes this for your reference:

299590 Error message when you try to modify a meeting that a delegate
created in Outlook: "You cannot schedule a meeting with <resource name>
because you do not have the appropriate permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;299590

Hope this helps!

From: netsvcs on
Both tests failed to produce any change in behavior. The message was still
displayed.

Also, in regard to the information you posted from the KB, this is not a
situation where someone is trying to modify an existing meeting. This is a
situation where the user is trying to create an entirely new meeting and is
unable to but ONLY in Outlook 2007.