From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

If you're leaving messages on the server, you may be exceeding your ISP's
account limits. Check with Virgin Media. At the very least (IMHO), the
"Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items" option should be
enabled on both computers. (Why keep junk mail, etc.?)

That being said, first double-check all three settings for the account(s) on
both computers, then keep reading...

One or both of your current identities may be damaged, especially if one or
both is the default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a
new Named Identity (with the correct Delivery settings)...

File | Identities | Add new identity

Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2)
import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete
the old one (File | Identities | Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

Ron wrote:
> Thanks for the info
> The settings you suggest are what I have got set up, except at the
> moment both pcs are set not to remove from the server at all.
> Until I get it sorted out I have been checking on Virgin Media
> directly to see what is there and can see that nothing is being
> removed.
> Can't understand this as before the upgrade it had been working fine
> on both pc's for tha last 6 years?
>
>> On both computers:
>>
>> OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [mail account] | Properties | Advanced |
>> Delivery | Leave a copy of message on server (check)
>>
>> OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [mail account] | Properties | Advanced |
>> Delivery | Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items' (check as
>> appropriate)
>>
>> On one computer:
>>
>> OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [mail account] | Properties | Advanced |
>> Delivery | Remove from server after XX days (set as desired).
<PASTE>

From: Edna Boxe on

"Ron" <ron6a(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 pc laptops in different rooms on a wired router. I share the
> internet signal through this and it works fine. A few months ago I
> upgraded one of the pcs to windows 7. Complete new install on
> reformatted discs and re-loaded my most important software. I did not
> like windows 7 much and found that a number of my most used programs
> did not work with it, so decided to go back to my old XP setup. Again
> I did a complete new install on clean drives etc.
> The problem is that since then, when I use Outlook express, the first
> machine that collects the emails somehow stops the other pc from
> collecting the same mails, where I used to just get the same set of
> emails to both pcs as long as they were left on the server (Virgin
> Media). Both machines are set up with the same outlook properties,
> including keeping messages on the server. The only slight difference
> is that one will also collect hotmail messages.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

If you're with virginmedia you may have to use recent: to do that, I'm NTL
who's just been moved to the virginmedia servers & in order to get email on
more than one computer we're told to add recent: before the incoming mail
server username.

Hth,
Edna.