From: Ron Hinds on
Outlook 2003. For some reason (haven't been able to figure out what triggers
it), Outlook keeps setting itself as the Default Mail Handler. Our users
only use Outlook for the Calendar function - they use Outlook Express for
eMail. We have a database application (Access F/E) that allows them to send
documents by eMail. But when Outlook "steals" the Default Mail Handler, the
mail never gets sent, though the user has no idea that it didn't go. In
Options | Other, I've unchecked the Make Outlook the default program for
E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar. How can I permanently stop Outlook from
making itself the Default Mail Handler?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Ron Hinds" <nospam(a)dontspamme.com> wrote in message

> Outlook 2003. For some reason (haven't been able to figure out what triggers
> it), Outlook keeps setting itself as the Default Mail Handler. Our users
> only use Outlook for the Calendar function - they use Outlook Express for
> eMail. We have a database application (Access F/E) that allows them to send
> documents by eMail. But when Outlook "steals" the Default Mail Handler, the
> mail never gets sent, though the user has no idea that it didn't go. In
> Options | Other, I've unchecked the Make Outlook the default program for
> E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar. How can I permanently stop Outlook from
> making itself the Default Mail Handler?

If you have Office installed, when an Office update gets installed, the update
will reset Outlook as the default mail handler.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Ron Hinds on

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If you have Office installed, when an Office update gets installed, the
> update will reset Outlook as the default mail handler.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

OK, that explains the why. Now, how can I permanently stop Outlook from
making itself the Default Mail Handler?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> OK, that explains the why. Now, how can I permanently stop Outlook from
> making itself the Default Mail Handler?

I don'tknow of any way to do that.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Gordon on

"Ron Hinds" <nospam(a)dontspamme.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003. For some reason (haven't been able to figure out what
> triggers it), Outlook keeps setting itself as the Default Mail Handler.
> Our users only use Outlook for the Calendar function - they use Outlook
> Express for eMail.

Is there any particular reason they use the free Outlook Express rather than
the paid-for Outlook? Seems a bit daft to me....