From: Kurt on
Hello all,

My Outlook is sending hidden messages (as indicated by the status bar) when I don't have any, or sometimes one message, in my Outbox. They shouldn't be read receipts from legitimate Email, because I usually haven't opened any mail that contains receipt requests (I get VERY little mail from unknown sources, so I would know). I first noticed this when sending one piece of mail, and the status bar said sending 1 of 2 messages. Sometimes when I send one message it will start with "Sending message 2 of 3," then go to 3 of 3, and only then do the one message I am actually sending, which is 1 of 3. I can tell which message is the one I am intentionally sending by the fact of when it moves from the Outbox folder. No messages ever appear in the Outbox or Sent Items folders, other than the messages I am intentionally sending.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated. I was thinking one of you young computer hackers might have written a patch that forces Outlook to display every single message being sent, whether a receipt or not, in the Outbox folder. Not sure why that wouldn't be a useful anti-spam option for MS to put on Outlook from the factory.

By the by, I really doubt I picked up a virus or tracker with my daily-updated AV software and routine business-only browsing habits, but I suppose you never know..
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Kurt" <robertstetter[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote in message

> My Outlook is sending hidden messages (as indicated by the status bar) when
> I don't have any, or sometimes one message, in my Outbox. They shouldn't be
> read receipts from legitimate Email, because I usually haven't opened any
> mail that contains receipt requests (I get VERY little mail from unknown
> sources, so I would know). I first noticed this when sending one piece of
> mail, and the status bar said sending 1 of 2 messages. Sometimes when I
> send one message it will start with "Sending message 2 of 3," then go to 3
> of 3, and only then do the one message I am actually sending, which is 1 of
> 3. I can tell which message is the one I am intentionally sending by the
> fact of when it moves from the Outbox folder. No messages ever appear in
> the Outbox or Sent Items folders, other than the messages I am intentionally
> sending.

If you intend to use a brain-dead posting host like outlookforums, please add
line breaks. Your paragraphs are each one long line and difficult to read.

If you really think Outlook may be sending messages, enable diagnostic logging
and see what actually passes between Outlook and your mail server.

Also, it always is a good idea to mention your Outlook version and account
type when posting.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Kurt" <robertstetter[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote in message

> My Outlook is sending hidden messages (as indicated by the status bar) when
> I don't have any, or sometimes one message, in my Outbox. They shouldn't be
> read receipts from legitimate Email, because I usually haven't opened any
> mail that contains receipt requests (I get VERY little mail from unknown
> sources, so I would know). I first noticed this when sending one piece of
> mail, and the status bar said sending 1 of 2 messages. Sometimes when I
> send one message it will start with "Sending message 2 of 3," then go to 3
> of 3, and only then do the one message I am actually sending, which is 1 of
> 3. I can tell which message is the one I am intentionally sending by the
> fact of when it moves from the Outbox folder. No messages ever appear in
> the Outbox or Sent Items folders, other than the messages I am intentionally
> sending.

I forgot to post the link to the logging information. Here it is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Peter Foldes on
Kurt

Besides Brian's answer also check if you are sending read notices

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
How many email accounts are in your profile? Outlook 2007 has a problem
counting outgoing messages when there are multiple accounts in the profile.

Otherwise, check for read receipts - see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/delete_rr_mfcmapi.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?