From: SimoninParis on
Hi,

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

I use Outlook for all my e-mails using my hotmail account. It is Outlook2007
in a Vista environment. Recently, it stopped receiving e-mail AND when I try
to open the inbox, I get an error message "The messaging interface has
returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." I
restart Outlook and the problem is not resolved.

If I send .pdf files as e-mails from Excel or word, Outlook will send them.

What do I do to resolve this problem, please?

Simon
From: neo on
Does Outlook start in safe mode?

How to:
Start > Run > Type: outlook.exe /safe > OK button

From: SimoninParis on
Yes, it starts in safe mode. The problem is there in safe mode and is still
there when I fire up Outlook normally.

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"SimoninParis" <SimoninParis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I use Outlook for all my e-mails using my hotmail account. It is Outlook2007
> in a Vista environment. Recently, it stopped receiving e-mail AND when I try
> to open the inbox, I get an error message "The messaging interface has
> returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." I
> restart Outlook and the problem is not resolved.
>
> If I send .pdf files as e-mails from Excel or word, Outlook will send them.

Are you accessing Hotmail with the Outlook Connector or with a POP account?
If the former, have you tried deleting the Hotmail account and readding it?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: SimoninParis on
Wow, Brian,

That did it, thanks. I removed the account and added it back in. Outlook now
loads rather more slowly than before but at least it is now working again. :-)

Why did the fault occur in thefirst place?