From: Jeff on
Why all of a sudden on my P5WD2P board with 5 Hd's am i now getting errors
of overclocking/over voltage error on startup with my Pentiun d 840 EE

i dont overclock.

tia

jeff

From: DaveW on
It's very possible that your power supply unit, which you don't mention, is
overtaxed by your harddrives' power load, and thus the PSU is becoming
unstable in voltage output.

--
DaveW

----------------

From: Jeff on
The PSU is 500Watts with the 24 pin connector (upgraded from 20 pin PS)

From: Paul on
In article <oh7Fg.7941$rI5.2346(a)news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com>, "Jeff"
<Jeff(a)somewhere.com> wrote:

> The PSU is 500Watts with the 24 pin connector (upgraded from 20 pin PS)

"System failed due to CPU overclock" is a Vocal POST error message.
It should be coming from the Lineout audio connector (green) on
the back of the computer. (I'm surprised there is Vocal POST on the
board, as the picture of the board I have, is missing the Winbond
Vocal POST chip and the serial EEPROM that holds the error messages.
If you look between the PCI slot furthest from the processor, and
the edge of the motherboard, there is a nine hole position for the
COM2 connector, and to the left of that is room for an 8 pin DIP
for the serial EEPROM, and next to that the quad flat pack Winbond
chip)

When your computer starts up, at some point a flag is set, indicating
the processor properly initialized. On the next restart, the flag is
checked. If the flag is not set, then the "System failed" message
could be delivered. So the current audio message you are hearing,
could be caused by a CPU problem during the previous session.

It is also possible that an Asus board could crash during the POST,
and maybe the error message would be emitted during the current
session. There isn't really any way to be sure what all the root
causes can be.

Most of the time, it has nothing to do with overclocking. I would
get the error occasionally on my A7N8X, when my Mobile processor
was not tweaked just right. When my processor would pass Prime95
testing, for the most part those errors at startup stopped.

So there could be a stability problem present in your system, or
something could be screwing up the startup sequence, but this
is not something an end-user can easily debug. Maybe a port 80
PORT card would give some more hints, but other than that, fixing
it will be hit or miss.

It could be something as simple as a BIOS update will fix it.

If there was a serious problem with the CPU at startup, you are
more likely to hear "System Failed CPU Test". A timer is used
on the Winbond chip, and if the BIOS code doesn't get to the
Vocal POST chip in time, and clear the timer, then the "CPU Test"
error message will come out. And that message can come out, even
if the CPU is not plugged into the motherboard. The Vocal POST
chip is an autonomous device, that can emit sounds without any
processor being present. The serial EEPROM contains voice samples,
and it also contains the sequencer program code for the Vocal
POST chip to execute.

Paul

From: Georges Jullien on
I had the same error "Overclocking failed or overvoltage failed. Enter setup
to reconfigure system" on a P5WD2-E Premium, Pentium D940.
After some time and another error the computer could not boot : no display
at boot.
I moved slightly the memories inside theirs supports. This repaired the
system. (I have two TWIN2X2048-6400PRO corsair memory : 4 Go)
Georges Jullien

"Jeff" <Jeff(a)somewhere.com> wrote in:
5R4Fg.7737$rI5.7401(a)news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com...
> Why all of a sudden on my P5WD2P board with 5 Hd's am i now getting errors
> of overclocking/over voltage error on startup with my Pentiun d 840 EE
>
> i dont overclock.
>

> tia
>
> jeff
>

 |  Next  |  Last