From: Barry Watzman on
The Asus P5B motherboard has a header on the motherboard for a COM1
serial port, but [stupidly, in my view] no DB-9 connector on the rear
I/O shield.

Unfortunately, Asus neither supplies a bracket with the DB-9 socket, nor
does the manual give a pinout for the header connector.

[Could Asus have done anything more to further increase the difficulty
of actually using this port? I don't think so; what we are seeing here
is industrial strength stupidity at work.]

Has anyone determined the pinout of the motherboard header for the COM1
serial port? There were, years ago before the ATX standard came into
being, two different and incompatible "standards" for such a connector,
not to mention the possibility that Asus followed neither of them.
From: GHalleck on

Barry Watzman wrote:

> The Asus P5B motherboard has a header on the motherboard for a COM1
> serial port, but [stupidly, in my view] no DB-9 connector on the rear
> I/O shield.
>
> Unfortunately, Asus neither supplies a bracket with the DB-9 socket, nor
> does the manual give a pinout for the header connector.
>
> [Could Asus have done anything more to further increase the difficulty
> of actually using this port? I don't think so; what we are seeing here
> is industrial strength stupidity at work.]
>
> Has anyone determined the pinout of the motherboard header for the COM1
> serial port? There were, years ago before the ATX standard came into
> being, two different and incompatible "standards" for such a connector,
> not to mention the possibility that Asus followed neither of them.

Where was the motherboard bought? ASUS certainly does provide
a rear-plane bracket with DB9 connector for use with the serial
header. If unable to resolve with seller, the header pin-outs,
IIRC, follow industry standard and getting a replacement should
not be difficult. If all else fails, there is the ASUS store that
can be linked from the ASUS website.
From: Barry Watzman on
I have not bought the motherboard yet, but the rear bracket is not
listed in the contents in the manual and it is not shown in the photos
on Newegg's site which shows all contents (or at least it wasn't shown
when I looked last).

There are two different "industry standards" for such parts with
different pinouts. I have many of both of them (left over from the
pre-ATX days with AT motherboards), but I need to know which one to use.
Yes, Asus has them at their "store" for $7, but the shipping costs
more than the item and there is a major hassle factor. Frankly, I'd
rather make one if it came to that. But in any case, no matter what,
the pinout should be in the manual and it isn't.

From: Me on
Barry is correct it does not show it. I was thinking my A8V-Deluxe had one
but upon looking I got a Gamepad bracket for the onboard sound card, not the
DB-9 neither of which I would use.
I was going to give it to you but alas I don't have one.

From: RoyB on
The attached should be helpful re: Serial port on P5B

http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t60805-a8n5x-serial-port-works.html