From: Barry Watzman on
Well, I found out how it's wired .... a friend of my son built a system
with a P5WD2-E Premium, which has such a com port also, didn't use the
COM port dongle and left it here.

Starting with the stripe edge of the cable (pin 1 for both the DB-9 and
the COM1 motherboard header), the first 5 wires go to the 5 DB-9 pins 1
thru 5 (the 5 pins in the row of 5), the next 4 wires to go pins 6-9
(the 4 pins in the 4-pin row) in that order.

[There is an "alternative" standard which wires every other pin to the
two rows, as if the DB-9 was an IDC socket. Many motherboards and other
devices use the alternative standard, but Asus does not.]

I have a bunch of them, I have a drawer full from the days of the "AT"
motherboard standard (pre-ATX days, mid 1990's).

From: Barry Watzman on
Summarizing this information (which agrees with what I found to be the
case based on investigating the a cable from a P5WD2-E Premium (I think
we can safely assume that all MODERN Asus boards use the same pinout)):

There are two possible wiring patterns for serial port headers.
Asus uses the wiring pattern is called AT-EVEREX-INTEL Version.

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&partno=07120&search=DB9M&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=

This is the other wiring pattern, and maybe this is the one you
bought. It is called DTK Version. Note that this is the one that does
NOT work with Asus motherboards:

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&partno=07121&search=DB9M&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=