From: RnR on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:33:27 -0500, BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>RnR wrote:
>> Ben or William are better qualified to answer this but way back when,
>> you risked a hotter cpu sometimes causing erratic behavior. So if
>> you should overclock make sure you monitor your temps more closely.
>> Also some components may experience a shorter life cycle when you
>> overclock due to the heat. Now I don't know if this applies to a
>> 9000 but I've seen ads showing coolers you can add to pc's to help
>> make them run cooler. I don't know if they work tho.
>>
>> Just curious why you want to overclock the 9000?
>
>I am surprised there isn't a bigger interest in underclocking. As if you
>play around with clocking speeds, you quickly learn that overclocking by
>say 30% doesn't even give you a lot more of a performance boost. And
>most of the time it isn't even noticeable.
>
>The same is true of underclocking. Underclock by 30% and you barely even
>notice the loss of CPU performance. Plus the risk of overheating is
>virtually impossible. In fact, in many cases you can do away with the
>CPU fan altogether.
>
>These Asus Celeron netbooks are underclocked straight from the factory.
>You can clock them back up with third party software, but you don't
>notice much of a gain anyway. And the last 5 minutes or so, the CPU
>usage has been running at about 70%. DPC usage mostly being too close to
>other WiFi equipment. Nonetheless the CPU temp only tops out at 134�F.
>To me, this is very exciting. ;-)

Interesting point Bill. I have to agree with you as I don't recall
ever reading about "underclocking" a system and I could see a need for
old games or maybe a "hot" (temp) running system. One day I may
have to check out those netbooks <g> tho a bigger priority for me now
is to upgrade my cell phones into the 21st century. My daughters,
especiallly one, got a nice HD2 phone. Impressive.