From: Tom Lake on
Is there any CPU overclocking software that actually works on the XPS
9000? There's no way to do it from BIOS since all references to frequencies
and voltages are missing. What PLL does it use? Most OC utilities I've
tried cant seem to find out and none of the choices listed seem to work.

Tom Lake

From: RnR on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 08:41:09 -0400, "Tom Lake" <tlake(a)twcny.rr.com>
wrote:

>Is there any CPU overclocking software that actually works on the XPS
>9000? There's no way to do it from BIOS since all references to frequencies
>and voltages are missing. What PLL does it use? Most OC utilities I've
>tried cant seem to find out and none of the choices listed seem to work.
>
>Tom Lake

Ben or William are better qualified to answer this but way back when,
you risked a hotter cpu sometimes causing erratic behavior. So if
you should overclock make sure you monitor your temps more closely.
Also some components may experience a shorter life cycle when you
overclock due to the heat. Now I don't know if this applies to a
9000 but I've seen ads showing coolers you can add to pc's to help
make them run cooler. I don't know if they work tho.

Just curious why you want to overclock the 9000?
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Is there any CPU overclocking software that actually works on
> the XPS 9000?

I don't know for sure, but I kinda doubt it. You'd have to identify
the clock generator first. It's usually a part made by ICS (most
common), Cypress, PhaseLink or Realtek (seen a few of those) in a
rectangular surface-soldered package with finely spaced pins. Usually
it is near the memory modules or CPU.

If you want to overclock, most Dell systems are a lousy platform. Even
if you can program the clock generator, you still can't do much of
anything about the voltages. Building your own system would be a
better way to go, if you want to test the waters.

William
From: BillW50 on
RnR wrote:
> Ben or William are better qualified to answer this but way back when,
> you risked a hotter cpu sometimes causing erratic behavior. So if
> you should overclock make sure you monitor your temps more closely.
> Also some components may experience a shorter life cycle when you
> overclock due to the heat. Now I don't know if this applies to a
> 9000 but I've seen ads showing coolers you can add to pc's to help
> make them run cooler. I don't know if they work tho.
>
> Just curious why you want to overclock the 9000?

I am surprised there isn't a bigger interest in underclocking. As if you
play around with clocking speeds, you quickly learn that overclocking by
say 30% doesn't even give you a lot more of a performance boost. And
most of the time it isn't even noticeable.

The same is true of underclocking. Underclock by 30% and you barely even
notice the loss of CPU performance. Plus the risk of overheating is
virtually impossible. In fact, in many cases you can do away with the
CPU fan altogether.

These Asus Celeron netbooks are underclocked straight from the factory.
You can clock them back up with third party software, but you don't
notice much of a gain anyway. And the last 5 minutes or so, the CPU
usage has been running at about 70%. DPC usage mostly being too close to
other WiFi equipment. Nonetheless the CPU temp only tops out at 134�F.
To me, this is very exciting. ;-)

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I am surprised there isn't a bigger interest in underclocking.

SpeedFan supports lowering your system's clock speed, if it knows the clock
generator and motherboard that you have. Dell isn't on the list...yet.
(Maybe never?)

Those of us with SpeedStep capable CPUs also appreciate the use of
underclocking from time to time.

William