From: BigJim on
after doing some more thinking you might have a conflict with the
two Ethernet connections, btw it does have a Marvell lan.
try taking out your other card and see if it will install then.

From: Chris on
Jim,
The device manager lists the ethernet controller under unknown devices as
ethernet controller. The status is "this device is not configured
properly (code 1)".

Chris

From: Chris on
In article <nospam-3001060146310001(a)192.168.1.178>, nospam(a)needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <nojunk-3001061625360001(a)203-109-160-79.dialup.ihug.co.nz>,
> nojunk(a)nojunk.com (Chris) wrote:
>
> > In article <nospam-2901062117100001(a)192.168.1.178>, nospam(a)needed.com
> > (Paul) wrote:
> > >
> > > Your manual should have a drawing of the motherboard, and you
> > > will see a 88E8001 drawn in the picture.
> > >
> > > The motherboard CD supports multiple motherboards, and when
> > > you insert the CD into the computer, autorun should bring up
> > > a dialog. Section 5.2.1 in the manual, shows a Marvell driver
> > > offered as the last menu item. Try installing that.
> > >
> > > Of the drivers, the motherboard CD might well have a 7.x
> > > version driver. Be aware that there was one bad driver from
> > > Marvell, something like 8.35.2.3 or so. That one will cause
> > > the machine to freeze at random times. Drivers earlier or
> > > later than that should be OK.
> > >
> > > http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800-se/Marvell_7.zip
> > >
> > > There is one setting in the BIOS, "Onboard LAN" [Enabled],
> > > and that is the default. You might check that it is
> > > at that default value.
> > >
> > > The Gigabit Ethernet interface on your new board, will
> > > support the ability to roll the cable automatically. When
> > > connecting to your Mac, it won't matter whether you use
> > > a straight thru cable, or a crossover cable, it should
> > > still make the connection. To connect at gigabit rates,
> > > the cable should have eight wires, at 10/100BT only four
> > > are required.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > Paul,
> >
> > I checked in the BIOS and the on-board LAN is enabled but the onboard LAN
> > boot ROM is disabled. What is the LAN boot ROM? Would enabling that make
> > any difference? Presumably is is not strictly needed or else it would be
> > enabled by default?
> >
> > I tried manually installing the Marvell driver but it did not work. I'll
> > try downloading the driver from ASUS and see how that goes. Interestingly
> > the support CD does not bring up the Marvell driver as a menu item so I
> > don't know what is going on there because the motherboard definitely has
> > the LAN chip.
> >
> > Chris
>
> That could mean the autorun thing has checked the motherboard
> identity and it doesn't match the set of motherboards the CD
> was prepared for. Is this a new board, or a refurb ?

It is a brand new board.

>What
> are the odds it has been forced flashed with some other
> motherboard BIOS ? (Does it even say P4P800 SE in white
> letters on the motherboard ? Do you see the Marvell
> chip over near the LAN connector stack ?)

I am going to have to open the PC up to check. Although it sure looked
like the correct board when I opened the box it came in. It is buried
under my desk so I will have to do that later on and I'll get back to you.

> Even with all of that, if the Marvell chip is truly enabled
> (and it might not be if a foreign BIOS is loaded), then
> the installer for the Marvell chip should work. The boot
> ROM option only registers the LAN as a net boot device,
> so if you were booting the computer from some other
> machine, the Ethernet interface could be used for that.
> The ROM option shouldn't prevent the driver from
> being installed, so whether enabled or disabled, shouldn't
> stop the driver installer from working.
>
> If it was my motherboard, I'd probably start by making an
> archival copy of the BIOS in the flash chip. The manual should
> explain several methods for flashing the BIOS, and one of the
> tools used should have an option to copy the file in the flash
> onto a floppy. With the flash file in hand, some identity info
> for the flash file is right among the last few bytes of the file.
> A hex editor can be used to look at the last part of the file and
> see what BIOS was used to flash the board. This method doesn't
> guarantee that someone didn't use a hacked BIOS on the board,
> but it will give you some idea as to what BIOS is in there. (You
> can also look at the paper label stuck on the flash chip, and
> compare to the info from the file, as a way of seeing if the
> board has been flashed after it left the factory.) What
> is printed on the screen can also contain unique info, so during
> POST have a look at the screen for any identity strings.
>
> (A sample BIOS screen during POST)
> http://www.highspheres.com/products/wakemeup/images/bios_post.jpg
>
> This is an example of the text strings in the last 80 bytes of a
> BIOS file I have here.
>
> P4C800EDROM
> P4CED106
> 06/20/05
>
> At least the first string tells me the BIOS file was
> P4C800ED.ROM . The date of release is probably a lot more
> reliable piece of info in the file, than any other release
> numbers. At least some tools that are supposed to extract
> version numbers, get the same number for two different BIOS
> files, which is not a good thing.
>
> Could it be a dead chip ? Sure. But the failure is just as
> likely to be a problem with the BIOS image flashed into the
> board not enabling the Marvell chip.
>
> One thing you could try is clearing the CMOS (unplug the
> computer before following the procedure in the manual). When
> the computer POSTs after you do the procedure, go into the
> BIOS and "Load Setup Defaults" or whatever the equivalent
> option is in your BIOS. That should reload sane options for
> the BIOS settings. Since the LAN chip is enabled by default,
> is should be enabled by the Load Setup Defaults. Then see
> if anything has changed at the OS level.
>
> Paul

I'll check that out and get back to you.

Chris
From: Chris on
Jim,

There is no other ethernet card -- but if the Marvell chip is dead I'll
hit the dealer up for an ethernet card because I had bought the last
socket 478 board I could find in the city and they don't make them
anymore.

Chris

In article <to6dnWrYwaSxJ0DenZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d(a)comcast.com>, "BigJim"

From: jb on
Sure they make them.. try provantage.com I had to buy a new one just two
weeks ago.. .
the really fun part is trying to find a 478 P4 to fit in one.. ;)
GO to the asus site search for the P4p.... and download the latest Marvel
lan drivers. 7.29's I think..
unzip and run... worked for me.

jb..