From: Dean Slindee on
I am running Windows Server 2003 with an AGP video card.
I have two pairs of Samsung non-ECC, non-Registered dimms, all 1GB PC3200.
One pair has Samsung K4H5108388 B3 chips, the other pair has K4H5108380 UCCC
chips.

After positioning the dimms in the various slots I have determined that all
the slots are good and that all the dimms are good (individually). I can
put 3 dimms in, and the system is semi-stable (slots 1,2,3 or slots 1,2,4)

However, when putting all four dimms in, the system becomes unstable or does
not start. On the one instance where it did boot all the way, the 4GB of
ram was acknowledged by My Computer properties. But, it did not stay stable
very long.

Is the P4P800 not capable of handling 4GB of ram? Would any of the P5
motherboards do any better?

Thanks,
Dean S

From: RobV on
Dean Slindee wrote:
> I am running Windows Server 2003 with an AGP video card.
> I have two pairs of Samsung non-ECC, non-Registered dimms, all 1GB
> PC3200. One pair has Samsung K4H5108388 B3 chips, the other pair has
> K4H5108380 UCCC chips.
>
> After positioning the dimms in the various slots I have determined
> that all the slots are good and that all the dimms are good
> (individually). I can put 3 dimms in, and the system is semi-stable
> (slots 1,2,3 or slots 1,2,4)
> However, when putting all four dimms in, the system becomes unstable
> or does not start. On the one instance where it did boot all the
> way, the 4GB of ram was acknowledged by My Computer properties. But,
> it did not stay stable very long.
>
> Is the P4P800 not capable of handling 4GB of ram? Would any of the P5
> motherboards do any better?
>
> Thanks,
> Dean S

You probably just need to increase Vdimm, due to the increased load with
4 sticks installed. Just increase by the smallest increment, then test.
You shouldn't have to (nor should you) increase it by more than about
0.1 to0.15V.

From: BigJim on
if increasing the voltage to the memory doesn't work try reducing the memory
speed.