From: Jan on
I have windows XP SP3 on my PC that recently often does not start up until
after trying 4-5 times. It usually crashes at varies positions during the
start up procedure. Often the monitor blacks out. Microsoft Security
Essentials and MalwareBytes full scans do not report any problems.
In my event viewer I get the following 2 warnings repeatedly; under Event
Application: Event 1003 " Trace file name parameter not located in
registry." This is immediately followed by Event 1015 "Trace level
parameter not located in registry. Default trace level used is 32"
In the event viewer under System I also notice the error Event ID 14103
"QoS[Adapter{F7126A8A-2AF3-45C9-B613-6EE5CA50DACB}]:The netcard driver
failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED."
I am only a rank amateur in IT and I am unable to make any sense out of
these warnings.
Is there anyone who may have a solution to this please.

From: Andrew E. on
Thats a tricky one,however it should'nt cause start-up problems.
Either way,the cause is SNMP,part of internet software..
The fix,open regedit,expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,software,microsoft,
windows,locate SNMP,expand the tree,locate events log and open.Go to new,
folder,select Reg.Dword modify,give it a name of TraceLevel with a value
of 32 Close it out when thru.New folder,this is a Reg.s2 or it similiar
type,
this one is named TraceFileName Its value is null (leave blank),close when
thru,close out regedit...Sorry,can't remember the exact,proper file names,but
you'll compare what i typed & get it as only a few choices are even close.

From: YKhan on
Those error messages that you're getting wouldn't cause your computer
to not boot, they are more warnings or informational rather than
critical to your system health.

The reason your computer might have trouble booting initially would
often be related to power-supply issues, and/or hard disk problems.
One thing you might want to do at the beginning of a boot cycle is to
stop the normal boot with the F8 key, going into the safe boot
options, and select the "enable boot logging" option. It'll show you
what's being loaded at the time, and if it locks up, you'll know what
the last driver that was loaded is.

Yousuf Khan

From: Jan on
Thanks for your assistance.
The regedit repair has fixed the warnings.
I have had no start up problems for 2 days and I am keeping my fingers
crossed