From: Alan Smithee Jr. on
> OK first in the photo editor you should have a way to "merge" or "flatten"
> all the layers.

He's not using a 'photo editor' but rather Adobe Illustrator.
Which begs the question...what is being done that couldn't be done entirely
in Illustrator?

Layers can be merged/flatened in Illustrator.
Raster output resolution can be adjusted in Illustrator.
Illustrator (from V 8.01 upward) can create native PDF's and can save for
web optimization.

> That should reduce the file size ("downsampleing" the graphics).
> Now you should have a file that will work and is as small as possible

And perhaps not print as well, if that's an issue.

From: John Malone on
I think the bulk is made in Publisher on a PC and then exported back to the
Mac in png format to make the PDF.
I have no experience with Illustrator but I assumed it could flatten or
merge the layers. The thought then struck me that saving in a format that
doesn't support layers might be an easy way of solving the problem.
Also he is using Acrobat 7 to make the PDF files. (on the Mac)

The files are OK the way they are but when viewed in a browser don't work.
After testing here, and I believe he has tested it too, it seems that the
png layers (if not merged) are causing the problem.

John Malone
=====================

From: Alan Smithee Jr. on
>I think the bulk is made in Publisher on a PC...

Maybe. Probably. My primary point was that I didn't see anything in those
PDF's that couldn't easily & quickly be achieved directly in Illustrator and
then outputed directly to a PDF without the need to jump around from one
application and platorm to another.
It can all be done in Illustrator.

From: littlegreenmen on
I appreciate y'alls help very much. The reason I have to jump around so much
is because my template for the entire handout is in Publisher. All I am using
Illustrator for is to import the CAD file, make some edits and apply
transparency to a few things, then I import those pngs back into Publisher for
the final layout. After that, I just use Acrobat to convert the Publisher file
to a pdf (after I first save the Publisher file as a png so that acrobat can
recognize it. I've tred making pdfs of all the different parts of the hand out
(the floorplan, elevation, and just the 1st page template from publisher), and
none of those worked. So, I agree it has something to do with the fact that
I'm usin gpng files. What's confusing me is (after searching google for a
couple hours yesterday and not finding much help), is that everything is only
one layer in Illustrator. Let's take the elevation for example. I import just
the elevation. then, on the same layer I import the shawdows and ad some
transparency. Then I add the trees with some transparency, again, all on the
same layer. I'll try outputting the illustrator and publisher files as jpgs,
or something like that then convert it to see if that makes a difference. I
was just trying to use pngs because of how nice looking and small they are.
The strangest part, like mentioned previously, the pdfs work great when viewed
locally, it's only when viewed on the net that they cause such havoc. I hope
this helps explain where I'm coming from a little better. If y'all still have
some more suggestions they are greatly appreciated. Thank you for everything
up to this point.

From: Win Day on
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:03:35 +0000 (UTC), "littlegreenmen"
<webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote:

>I appreciate y'alls help very much. The reason I have to jump around so much
>is because my template for the entire handout is in Publisher. All I am using
>Illustrator for is to import the CAD file, make some edits and apply
>transparency to a few things, then I import those pngs back into Publisher for
>the final layout.

Once you have your edits done in Illustrator, save it with a new name
(originalname_flat.ai would work well). Now group everything, flatten
the Illustrator file, and try exporting it as a WMF instead of a PNG.
Publisher likes WMFs.

> After that, I just use Acrobat to convert the Publisher file
>to a pdf (after I first save the Publisher file as a png so that acrobat can
>recognize it.

I don't get this step at all. Why do you have to save the Publisher
file as a PNG so Acrobat can recognize it?

I've deleted the earlier part of the thread. You are working with the
full version of Acrobat, yes? Not just the reader?

Then you should have an Adobe PDF printer driver installed. Check in
your list of printers. If you don't see one there, install it. You
may need your original Acrobat CD.

Now, in Publisher, print to that printer: File => Print => Adobe PDF.
You'll be prompted for a file name.

Does that work?

Win
--