From: Brian Dunning on
Toooootally agree. But just in case it wasn't clear, you only need a Windows computer once to run the obfuscator; once done the code runs on any PHP server.

From: shiplu on
I dont own a windows computer.
I found phpcoder.sf.net. it uses eaccelerator to encode. This is good.
But the problem is latest version of e-accelerator discontinued the
encoder. So may be, an older version will do it.
Didn't configured it yet.

Shiplu Mokadd.im
My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net
Follow me, http://twitter.com/shiplu
SUST Programmers, http://groups.google.com/group/p2psust
Innovation distinguishes bet ... ... (ask Steve Jobs the rest)
From: Phpster on

On May 11, 2010, at 8:36 PM, shiplu <shiplu.net(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont own a windows computer.
> I found phpcoder.sf.net. it uses eaccelerator to encode. This is good.
> But the problem is latest version of e-accelerator discontinued the
> encoder. So may be, an older version will do it.
> Didn't configured it yet.
>

> Shiplu Mokadd.im
> My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net
> Follow me, http://twitter.com/shiplu
> SUST Programmers, http://groups.google.com/group/p2psust
> Innovation distinguishes bet ... ... (ask Steve Jobs the rest)

Guys,

This is what contracts are for. You should be licensing the code to
the users/clients. The contract is a legally enforcable doc that
protects you.

We do this with classic ASP code and have not had any issues at all.
Moving to another language is no barrier.

The one thing to remember about altering the code is that when, not
if, you need to maintain it and your dev machine with all the toys is
not available, it's gonna be a pain to deal with.

A good contract will help you to avoid all that.

Bastien

Sent from my iPod
From: Pete Ford on
On 12/05/10 01:06, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 16:50 -0700, Brian Dunning wrote:
>
>> Hi Shiplu -
>>
>> I also have a product with similar requirements. I searched a LOT and was never able to find a free solution that I was satisfied with. Even a lot of the commercial solutions required some server-side runtime EXE or something be installed, and my customers are not tech savvy enough to get that going.
>>
>> I ultimately settled on PHP Lockit, which is $29. It's a Windows program that you run to create an obfuscated version of your script. I'm very satisfied with the obfuscation, and it does not require any external runtime files or anything. Works like a charm, and I recommend it.
>>
>> http://phplockit.com/
>>
>> - Brian
>>
>> On May 9, 2010, at 1:36 PM, shiplu wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any php encoder like IonCube ?
>>> Looking for an opensource solution.
>>> My main target is to deliver encoded php codes so that it can not be
>>> re-engineered.
>>

> Does slightly limit you to the Windows platform though, which I always
> think is a shame when using a language as open as PHP.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Maybe it'll run under Wine?
I might just try that with a demo version...
From: Pete Ford on
On 12/05/10 10:48, Pete Ford wrote:
> On 12/05/10 01:06, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 16:50 -0700, Brian Dunning wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Shiplu -
>>>
>>> I also have a product with similar requirements. I searched a LOT and
>>> was never able to find a free solution that I was satisfied with.
>>> Even a lot of the commercial solutions required some server-side
>>> runtime EXE or something be installed, and my customers are not tech
>>> savvy enough to get that going.
>>>
>>> I ultimately settled on PHP Lockit, which is $29. It's a Windows
>>> program that you run to create an obfuscated version of your script.
>>> I'm very satisfied with the obfuscation, and it does not require any
>>> external runtime files or anything. Works like a charm, and I
>>> recommend it.
>>>
>>> http://phplockit.com/
>>>
>>> - Brian

>> Does slightly limit you to the Windows platform though, which I always
>> think is a shame when using a language as open as PHP.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>>

> Maybe it'll run under Wine?
> I might just try that with a demo version...

Looks like it works fine under Wine, at least the demo does...

--
Peter Ford, Developer phone: 01580 893333 fax: 01580 893399
Justcroft International Ltd. www.justcroft.com