From: Geoff Schaller on
Ok, this is me being real picky now but...

These are usability comments from two guys who use a lot of Dot net
tools and are just looking at the 'professionalism' side of things so
assume this is just finesse:

1. When a project is chosen the refresh button automatically pressed yet
when you change a check box, it is not. Hence if you choose a project
first (the natural thing to do) you have to wait 30 seconds whilst the
treeview is built only to discover the checked options are
inappropriate. I think you should force the user to press refresh when
they have chosen all options.

2. At the start, the icon counters should not be shown. Especially the 0
count. It is just untidy. They should appear as they are discovered and
populated with a count from the project walk.

3. When any check box is changed and/or the project is changed, the
treeview and icons should be cleared.

4. Ok, the STOP question is annoying <g>. Just get rid of it. We press
stop for a reason. There would be no grounds to stop and restart so it
is redundant. Totally.

5. Get rid of the Process Finished message. It is redundant. We know it
is finished. It is especially annoying when you press the stop button
because now you get two dialogs <g>.

6. When the process is complete, remove the progress bar or reset it.
You can replace this with a fixed text if you like which announces:
'Processing Complete' or 'Processing Interrupted'.

7. Storing preferences in the registry is a no-no. Can you change this
to a cfg file in the user data folder please? I wasn't aware you were
doing this. Alternately, what is the key under which you are storing
this?

Thanks,

Geoff

From: Philippe Mermod on

I will take a look and let you know...

From: Geoff Schaller on
Phil.

Found two significant bugs.

1) You don't check that the AEF options have changed so it picks up all
the MEFs but not the options. Thus if I change library linkages (for
example), it fails to pick this and the project will not compile. VO
correctly detects this when you open VO. Remember that the options is a
completely different object to inspect and options can change without
modules changing.

2) The process does not detect missing modules (ie new ones added). I
suspect this is related to (1) above and I am not entirely sure what you
should do about it. Perhaps provide a button to do a get latest at the
AEF level rather than the MEF level.

In point of fact, that is how we prefer to work. When there are module
changes we just do a get latest on the AEF, not the individual MEF. It
is just as fast and makes sure we get related and new modules. You will
see my classes also generate a template of the project (MEFs involved)
and I used that to detect when modules had been deleted and added.

Actually, deleting modules is a whole other problem....

From: Philippe Mermod on
Hi,

1. This won't be implemented in short term as our aef's are
disconnected in the projects

2. Can you give more details. I created a new module in an
application. It's listed in the process as basic module (not
under SCC). Then I added to VSS : during the process, it's
listed as under SCC (checked-in or checked-out)

From: Geoff Schaller on
Phil,

(1) is easy - you just need to call the check for the Options. And this
is very important because applications will not compile if the library
list, UDC list or other things are not correct.

(2) is also easy to duplicate. On one PC, create a new MEF and add to
source control. Check in. Go to a second PC and run your tool. It does
not detect the module. Same goes if you delete a module. The deletion is
not detected and if you've moved the module to another application you
end up with all sorts of duplicated class errors.

What we do when we add/delete modules is to touch the options to force
the developer to do a get latest on the AEF. Then all such macro changes
are picked up.

Cheers,