From: The alMIGHTY N on
On Dec 1, 10:17 am, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> The alMIGHTY N wrote:
> > Wow. I hadn't read that. So much for Blig Merk's constant yabbering
> > about how great Cell is.
>
> > On the other hand, isn't it still possible that they'd use some
> > current variant of Cell to power their next console? There must have
> > been developments to the processor since the launch of the PS3 3 years
> > ago and it would allow them to not have to worry about forcing
> > developers to learn yet another brand new architecture for the next
> > generation...
>
> There was a small but significant revision to the core, where they
> increased the double-precision floating point efficiency of the
> processor. However, this was done to help out in the supercomputing
> arena, not really relevant for gaming. Nor does it provide much
> performance increase for gaming, since most gaming is done using
> single-precision floating point.
>
> One has to wonder how long Sony would be interested in using a core
> that's never going to be revised anymore?

I suppose they would have to weight that against using another brand
new architecture that will have developers confounded for the first
three years of the console's life.

Even now many developers have problems utilizing the PlayStation 3
architecture properly. Essentially, the good games are being pumped
out by first and second party studios who had a good year head start
on everyone else with the architecture (and have direct access to the
folks at Sony who worked on the architecture).

It would be disastrous for Sony if they repeated that mistake next
generation. If they're going to go with a new architecture, I for one
hope that they go Microsoft's route and utilize one that's much more
familiar with developers.
From: Miles Bader on
The alMIGHTY N <natlee75(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> It would be disastrous for Sony if they repeated that mistake next
> generation. If they're going to go with a new architecture, I for one
> hope that they go Microsoft's route and utilize one that's much more
> familiar with developers.

The problem with the PS2 and PS3 was that top-level decisions about
development directions were largely made by _marketing_ people, with
limited understanding of the technical realities.

But since Kutaragi has been kicked out, maybe they'll be a bit more
level-headed with the PS4.

-Miles

From: The alMIGHTY N on
On Dec 1, 10:40 pm, Miles Bader <mi...(a)gnu.org> wrote:
> The alMIGHTY N <natle...(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > It would be disastrous for Sony if they repeated that mistake next
> > generation. If they're going to go with a new architecture, I for one
> > hope that they go Microsoft's route and utilize one that's much more
> > familiar with developers.
>
> The problem with the PS2 and PS3 was that top-level decisions about
> development directions were largely made by _marketing_ people, with
> limited understanding of the technical realities.
>
> But since Kutaragi has been kicked out, maybe they'll be a bit more
> level-headed with the PS4.

One can certainly dream...

From: Yousuf Khan on
The alMIGHTY N wrote:
>> One has to wonder how long Sony would be interested in using a core
>> that's never going to be revised anymore?
>
> I suppose they would have to weight that against using another brand
> new architecture that will have developers confounded for the first
> three years of the console's life.

Well if they head towards a regular PowerPC chip, they can still
maintain some level of compatibility with the Cell's PPE component, if
not its SPE's.

However, I was surprised by how well Microsoft was able to maintain
compatibility between Xbox (x86) and Xbox 360 (PowerPC). I think Sony
should be able to create an emulation layer for the Cell's SPEs somehow.

Yousuf Khan
From: Jim on
"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> However, I was surprised by how well Microsoft was able to maintain
> compatibility between Xbox (x86) and Xbox 360 (PowerPC). I think Sony
> should be able to create an emulation layer for the Cell's SPEs somehow.
MS bought VirtualPC, a Windows emulator for PPC Mac's, so all that work was
already done. The tricky part was emulating the NV2A. IIRC Nvidia said
they would sue if they used their IP or some lame reason like that.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: 5750 - Different cooling packaging
Next: which driver