From: Toni on
My Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop has Microsoft Office XP SP3.

This morning when attempting to download my email, Outlook 2002 shocked me with a
message "outlook4.pst has reached it's maximum size". My PST file has reached 1.9G.

A search has only shown me fixes for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.

PLEASE, can anyone tell me if there is a fix or a tweak that will let Outlook 2002 SP3
grow the size of my PST file??? I am shut down until this is fixed!

From: Gordon on

"Toni" <Toni(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop has Microsoft Office XP SP3.
>
> This morning when attempting to download my email, Outlook 2002 shocked me
> with a message "outlook4.pst has reached it's maximum size". My PST file
> has reached 1.9G.
>
> A search has only shown me fixes for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.
>
> PLEASE, can anyone tell me if there is a fix or a tweak that will let
> Outlook 2002 SP3 grow the size of my PST file??? I am shut down until this
> is fixed!

Nope - there IS no "fix" to allow the pst file to grow. Outlook 2002 and
prior use the old ANSI format pst file which is limited to a theoretical
size of 2GB but in practice is lower - as you have found out.
If you can open Outlook, create a new pst file and move some (a lot!) of
data into it. Compact the original pst file when you've done that.

HTH

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> My Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop has Microsoft Office XP SP3.
>
> This morning when attempting to download my email, Outlook 2002 shocked me
> with a message "outlook4.pst has reached it's maximum size". My PST file has
> reached 1.9G.
>
> A search has only shown me fixes for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.
>
> PLEASE, can anyone tell me if there is a fix or a tweak that will let
> Outlook 2002 SP3 grow the size of my PST file??? I am shut down until this
> is fixed!

Create a new PST and copy a portion of the data in your exoisting PST to the
new PST or employ the AutoArchive function in Outlook to remove some of the
older entries in your existing PST to the archive PST. You can have nearly as
many PST as you wish, so there's no practical limit to the amount of data
Outlook can contain.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Rebelsmom on

From: Rebelsmom on

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> "Toni" <Toni(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> > My Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop has Microsoft Office XP SP3.
> >
> > This morning when attempting to download my email, Outlook 2002 shocked me
> > with a message "outlook4.pst has reached it's maximum size". My PST file has
> > reached 1.9G.
> >
> > A search has only shown me fixes for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.
> >
> > PLEASE, can anyone tell me if there is a fix or a tweak that will let
> > Outlook 2002 SP3 grow the size of my PST file??? I am shut down until this
> > is fixed!
>
> Create a new PST and copy a portion of the data in your exoisting PST to the
> new PST or employ the AutoArchive function in Outlook to remove some of the
> older entries in your existing PST to the archive PST. You can have nearly as
> many PST as you wish, so there's no practical limit to the amount of data
> Outlook can contain.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
> I wish that this post had been here on Friday, the 19th. I've lost all of my Outlook and attempted to move the messages to a new pst folder to no avail. I do still have some archived items from 2007, but nothing newer. I've attempted a data recovery, but don't think that I was able to salvage anything. I does appear that I have my contacts, but because the file they are related to is gone, I can't open the folder. Do I need to add a new one or remove the address book as directed by the Help directions in Microsoft Office Help? If there are any suggestions or ideas on recovering my pst, I would be grateful.
I'm working with XP SP3 , but maybe not for long.