From: David Ruether on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
wrote in message news:i28otj$5uu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:mdqe46l3c6ffjt514ae042sgh1bp023vff(a)4ax.com...

>> The LX5 has a 24-90mm (equivalent) Leica f/2.0-2.3 lens, 10.1 MP plus
>> better sensitivity and more dynamic range than the current LX3.
> []

> Good, yes, but those huge add-on lenses remind me rather of the ill-fated Sony DSC-R1 - large and ugly. Why spoil an otherwise
> interesting 2/3-inch camera?
>
> David

If "those huge add-on lenses" can get you to 18mm equivalent
(LX5) or 19mm (R1) well (but I don't know how good the images
are to the corners with the converters on...), and you want such
a wide angle of view (I do), who cares? I sure don't! ;-)
--DR

From: Peter on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
> wrote in message news:i28otj$5uu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> The LX5 has a 24-90mm (equivalent) Leica f/2.0-2.3 lens, 10.1 MP plus
>>> better sensitivity and more dynamic range than the current LX3.
>> []
>
>> Good, yes, but those huge add-on lenses remind me rather of the ill-fated
>> Sony DSC-R1 - large and ugly. Why spoil an otherwise interesting
>> 2/3-inch camera?
>>
>> David
>
> If "those huge add-on lenses" can get you to 18mm equivalent
> (LX5) or 19mm (R1) well (but I don't know how good the images
> are to the corners with the converters on...), and you want such
> a wide angle of view (I do), who cares? I sure don't! ;-)

For some here, it's about equipment, not images.
If that's their interest, so be it. I have rarely seen images made by the
equipment carpers. They love of BS about equipment; quote reviews of things
they probably never used; and give meaningless opinions about what is coming
next.
Just my observation.
--
Peter

From: David J Taylor on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> If "those huge add-on lenses" can get you to 18mm equivalent
> (LX5) or 19mm (R1) well (but I don't know how good the images
> are to the corners with the converters on...), and you want such
> a wide angle of view (I do), who cares? I sure don't! ;-)
> --DR

David,

I find that my pictures cover the equivalent range 24mm - 450mm, and I
would often like a little more at the wide end. My feeling is that the
fixed lens camera works well if you can live with the built-in zoom range.
If not, then you might as well get an interchangeable lens camera. If you
are a wide-angle enthusiast, you might get a more compact solution with
one of the micro-4/3 cameras.

Cheers,
David

From: J. Clarke on
On 7/22/2010 12:36 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message
> []
>> If "those huge add-on lenses" can get you to 18mm equivalent
>> (LX5) or 19mm (R1) well (but I don't know how good the images
>> are to the corners with the converters on...), and you want such
>> a wide angle of view (I do), who cares? I sure don't! ;-)
>> --DR
>
> David,
>
> I find that my pictures cover the equivalent range 24mm - 450mm, and I
> would often like a little more at the wide end. My feeling is that the
> fixed lens camera works well if you can live with the built-in zoom
> range. If not, then you might as well get an interchangeable lens
> camera. If you are a wide-angle enthusiast, you might get a more compact
> solution with one of the micro-4/3 cameras.

Not really. Remember the crop factor.
From: David J Taylor on
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
[]
>> David,
>>
>> I find that my pictures cover the equivalent range 24mm - 450mm, and I
>> would often like a little more at the wide end. My feeling is that the
>> fixed lens camera works well if you can live with the built-in zoom
>> range. If not, then you might as well get an interchangeable lens
>> camera. If you are a wide-angle enthusiast, you might get a more
>> compact
>> solution with one of the micro-4/3 cameras.
>
> Not really. Remember the crop factor.

That should reduce the size of wide-angle lenses as well. Talking of
compact lenses, though, I don't see /any/ fixed-focal-length lenses which
I would call wide-angle on this page:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lense.html

25mm (50mm eq.) appears to be the widest. To get 7mm (14mm eq.) you need
a zoom.

Nothing from Olympus, either:

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/374/Olympus-Micro-Four-Thirds-Lenses.html

Cheers,