From: Bruce on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:22:28 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Talking of
>compact lenses, though, I don't see /any/ fixed-focal-length lenses which
>I would call wide-angle on this page:
>
> http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lense.html
>
>25mm (50mm eq.) appears to be the widest. To get 7mm (14mm eq.) you need
>a zoom.
>
>Nothing from Olympus, either:
>
> http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/374/Olympus-Micro-Four-Thirds-Lenses.html

Olympus offers an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens for Four Thirds. You can
remove the fisheye "distortion" in post processing, just as you can
with the AF Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G DX.

From: David J Taylor on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> Olympus offers an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens for Four Thirds. You can
> remove the fisheye "distortion" in post processing, just as you can
> with the AF Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G DX.

True, but not what I was thinking of as a compact, rectilinear lens.

Cheers,
David

From: J. Clarke on
On 7/23/2010 6:45 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> []
>> Olympus offers an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens for Four Thirds. You can
>> remove the fisheye "distortion" in post processing, just as you can
>> with the AF Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G DX.
>
> True, but not what I was thinking of as a compact, rectilinear lens.

It gives the same image circle as any other 8mm fisheye, which means
that it doesn't give full 180 degree coverage of the entire image, it
just gives 180 diagonally on 4/3.

There is a 7-14mm rectilinear which gives the same coverage as a 14mm on
full frame or a 10mm on APS-C. For APS-C Sigma has an 8-16mm
rectilinear that gives the same field of view that a 5.6mm would give on
4/3. Further, the 8-16 is smaller than the 7-14 and you can get the
lens and a decent camera body for less than the price of the Sigma lens
alone. And if you look at the uncorrected test results rather than the
ones with autocorrection, you'll find that the Sigma is across the board
a better performer as well.
From: LOL! on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:12:07 -0400, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net>
wrote:

>On 7/23/2010 6:45 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> []
>>> Olympus offers an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens for Four Thirds. You can
>>> remove the fisheye "distortion" in post processing, just as you can
>>> with the AF Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G DX.
>>
>> True, but not what I was thinking of as a compact, rectilinear lens.
>
>It gives the same image circle as any other 8mm fisheye, which means
>that it doesn't give full 180 degree coverage of the entire image, it
>just gives 180 diagonally on 4/3.
>
>There is a 7-14mm rectilinear which gives the same coverage as a 14mm on
>full frame or a 10mm on APS-C. For APS-C Sigma has an 8-16mm
>rectilinear that gives the same field of view that a 5.6mm would give on
>4/3. Further, the 8-16 is smaller than the 7-14 and you can get the
>lens and a decent camera body for less than the price of the Sigma lens
>alone. And if you look at the uncorrected test results rather than the
>ones with autocorrection, you'll find that the Sigma is across the board
>a better performer as well.

Huh. Well, isn't that a sorry shame. Here's a fish-eye adapter lens used on
a P&S camera.

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4820437661_db1b493a08_b.jpg>

What a shame that the same clarity and edge to edge sharpness with zero CA
can't be had on any DSLR.

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep being a DSLR-TROLL, it is SO entertaining!

LOL!

From: Peter on
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> []
>> Olympus offers an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens for Four Thirds. You can
>> remove the fisheye "distortion" in post processing, just as you can
>> with the AF Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G DX.
>
> True, but not what I was thinking of as a compact, rectilinear lens.

did you look at the Sigma 8-16. It is not compact, but is rectilinear. I
played with one last week and published my short review in one of the
groups.

--
Peter