From: Ernesto on
Is it possible, and how, to decrypt an encrypted Navision password?

I have restored an old Navision database backup, so I know the
encrypted passwords (by copying the user data to excel), but now I
want to know the real passwords again.
I need this, so I can login again with a super user in the live
database.

I have 2 examples of encrypted passwords: ~NŠŠûO.&a and ~ÓÑÌÊ72ãÍ~

Regards,
Ernesto
From: Luc Van Dyck on
"Ernesto" wrote:

> Is it possible, and how, to decrypt an encrypted Navision password?

No, that is not possible.

What you can do however, is to encrypt all possible passwords you can think
of, and compare the encrypted password with the one in your database. If both
encrypted passwords are the same, then you got the password.

Maybe this tool can be useful: http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=172
It uses dictionary words to try to recover the passwords.

Luc Van Dyck
webmaster http://mibuso.com
"Your favourite knowledge base"
From: Ernesto on
On 12 sep, 16:11, Luc Van Dyck <LucVanD...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> "Ernesto" wrote:
> > Is it possible, and how, to decrypt an encrypted Navision password?
>
> No, that is not possible.
>
> What you can do however, is to encrypt all possible passwords you can think
> of, and compare the encrypted password with the one in your database. If both
> encrypted passwords are the same, then you got the password.
>
> Maybe this tool can be useful:http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=172
> It uses dictionary words to try to recover the passwords.
>
> Luc Van Dyck
> webmasterhttp://mibuso.com
> "Your favourite knowledge base"

Thank you Luc,
I have already tried your tool, but the passwords where not in the
dictionaries
Ernesto
From: Vishal Rajput on
Hi Ernesto,

Did you restore from FBK or brought back a FDB file ? if it is a FBK then
after you restore the database don't close the client go to Tool -
Security - Database Logins and change the passwords.

It is important that you don't close the client when the restore is
complete.

Regards,
Vishal

From: Savatage on
Adding to Vishal's post

In Navision, it is not possible to require a log in for restoring a backup.
Because a backup is not encrypted, requiring a login for a backup would give
only a limited security advantage. Anyone with a little programming
experience would still be able to read data in a backup as long as the files
were accessible. Backups must be regarded as sensitive files that must be
stored safely, accessible only to those people who have permissions for the
data in the backups. This is also true for the database files themselves.

After the backup is completed in Navision, users are not logged out. Logging
users out after the backup is completed would not improve security. This is
because they can always create a new database, give themselves all the
permissions they want, and then restore the backup into the new database. A
user who was automatically logged out after a backup and restore would have
all the permissions needed to log back in to the new, restored database
because a security system in the backup does not replace a security system
already in the database you restore into, unless you tell it to.