From: Neil Gould on
Hi,

IIS6, classic ASP

I some need insights into password-protected directories. What I want to
accomplish is having a classic ASP script access and deliver files from a
protected directory to client-side browsers.

Is this possible?

Are there specific IIS settings that affect or enable this beyond a basic
"password protection" setting from the host's UI?

TIA,

Neil

From: Ken Schaefer on
You could simply have a web page that asks for a password (using a form - if
you use Windows AuthN then you ASP script will impersonate that user).

You have have the files stored outside the website - just use the file
system object to read in the files, if the is supposed to have access.

Cheers
Ken

http://www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken

From: Neil Gould on
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response, but it seems that my question was poorly stated!

The website has password access via form, but that is for users to access
pages. It does not use Windows AuthN, but that may be one part of the
question that I am asking. The host's UI has an option for "password
protecting" directories, and if set, a screen pops up asking for name and
password. Is this typically handled by AuthN? If I understand your answer,
an ASP script can impersonate that user and supply the name and password,
then deliver the files (they're PDFs)? The reason I'm trying to resolve this
is that using ADODB.stream to deliver the files is painfully slow...

Neil