From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-17, dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>> On 2010-03-17, mayayana <mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> Wow...I had to stop and think, when was the last time I actually bought
>>> something from MSFT? It was either VB6 or Win98. Every OS since then has
>>> come preinstalled.
>>> That's a purchase. I think they get $50-80
>>> for each OEM license. So if you buy a commercial
>>> PC with Windows pre-installed then you're
>>> buying Windows.
>>
>> It's more complicated than that. In fact, you are probably getting a small
>> discount rather then paying anything for windows if you are buying from a
>> major distributor such as del or hp. ...
>
> Perhaps on net pricing but they're certainly paying MS a licensing fee
> based on unit volume in part that is getting passed on to the enduser,
> however obfuscated the accounting.

Oh, definately - MS is getting their portion. It's just that a lot of people
don't realize that the crapware they get on their system is actually
subsidizing the cost of windows - making it basically free to the consumer.

I still hate the crapware though...

--
Tom Shelton
From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:53:07 -0500, "mayayana" <mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

� > Sorry, can't speak for "Mike". Up until a few years ago I had never heard
� of him before, although I
� > believe he was in the MVP program for a year.
� >

� So you're claiming a special rank of tribal elder?
� That's rich.

Don't you respect your tribal elders? ;-)

But yes telling people what they should or shouldn't post, acting like they own the place, is
especially rank.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Jason Keats on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> Survey time... Anyone here a MSFT customer? (Present tense)

No, everyone will be installing ReactOS on their next computer, just so
they can avoid buying Windows 7 - while still being able to run VB6...

http://www.reactos.org/en/screenshots.html

Right? ;-)
From: mayayana on
> Oh, definately - MS is getting their portion.
> It's just that a lot of people
> don't realize that the crapware they get
> on their system is actually
> subsidizing the cost of windows - making
> it basically free to the consumer.

How do you know the crapware isn't subsidizing
the cost of the power supply? Or the RAM
stick? Or Carly Fiorina's retirement package?

And if it's subsidizing Windows then how do
we know whether it's subsidizing the actual
software or whether it's paying Jerry Seinfeld
to hang around with Bill Gates? Or maybe it's
subsidizing the numerous legal penalties? Or,
heaven forbid, maybe it's paying for a gold-
plated plastic brain on a little walnut pedestal,
inscribed with "MVP 2010", to adorn Paul Clement's
fireplace mantle.

Heck, why restrict ourselves to the appearance
of rationalty here? If the Obama admin. can be
talked into bailing out Dell, will Windows then
be free? If I then buy a Dell on sale, does that
effectively mean that Microsoft has paid me
money to use Windows? If I don't get a parking
ticket while buying my on-sale PC, does that mean
that MS has paid me even more to use Windows?
(Sheesh, how do they stay in business?)

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-17, mayayana <mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Oh, definately - MS is getting their portion.
>> It's just that a lot of people
>> don't realize that the crapware they get
>> on their system is actually
>> subsidizing the cost of windows - making
>> it basically free to the consumer.
>>

> How do you know the crapware isn't subsidizing
> the cost of the power supply? Or the RAM
> stick? Or Carly Fiorina's retirement package?

Ok - it would be more appropriate to say offseting the cost of the pc. In
other words, they are able to sell the pc at a more competitive price to the
consumer because they are selling desktop space to the scammers.

The reason I target windows is because the fact is that windows is probably the
single largest cost in building a pc...

The way this works really came out when del started selling certain desktop
machines with linux as an option. It was noted that the linux machines were
actually more expensive then the equivalent windows machines. It
basically came down to the fact that on the linux machines they couldn't
install all the crapware - so they couldn't sell it as cheaply even though
they were only paying a fraction of the cost to Canonical for ubuntu.

--
Tom Shelton